Chasing electrical gremlins

Gwain

Hey group, new member here. I'm slowly bringing my 94 Cutlass Supreme vert back to OEM standards. Lately I've been chasing some electrical gremlins. The symptoms lead me to believe I'm not getting full amperage through my electrical circuits. Sometimes when I try to start the car the starter solenoid just "clicks" (like when you have a solenoid going bad). Eventually the car always starts, but something is not right. I've replaced the solenoid 3 times and the starter once. They all act the same?! I've put in a new set of battery cables, both positive and negative, and cleaned all connections thoroughly, including "all" the various connections. Still no joy. Anyone got suggestions how to trouble shoot this problem (I hate electrical problems)?

• 2 months later...
Hey group, new member here. I'm slowly bringing my 94 Cutlass Supreme vert back to OEM standards. Lately I've been chasing some electrical gremlins. The symptoms lead me to believe I'm not getting full amperage through my electrical circuits. Sometimes when I try to start the car the starter solenoid just "clicks" (like when you have a solenoid going bad). Eventually the car always starts, but something is not right. I've replaced the solenoid 3 times and the starter once. They all act the same?! I've put in a new set of battery cables, both positive and negative, and cleaned all connections thoroughly, including "all" the various connections. Still no joy. Anyone got suggestions how to trouble shoot this problem (I hate electrical problems)?
that fast click of the solenoid usually means low voltage at the '"s" terminal ,lower than 10 volts indicates a problem.