My car is a fucking deathtrap!

phantomshado

my brakes are acting really weird, and its pissing me off. They work just fine in drive, but when I try to stop in reverse the brakes grab and catch, eventually making it impossible to drive in reverse, until I REALLY give it some gas, then it frees up again. What is this???? do I need to replace the rotors or pads? I hear a metal clank over sharp dips in the road, so maybe I separated the rotor from its hub??? It messed up, and I need my car. Thanks for the help everyone.

IIRC they are slide breaks so the 2 pistons push on the inside and the outer pad pulls to the rotor via the slide on the bracket

now the grabing could be many thinks here is my therory

this would happen forward and reverse (not sure) if the anti seze greese does not work any more the caliper would be frozen on the bracket snd not able to move when the breaks are applied thus making the inside pad do most os the work

what i would do is inspect the pads ect. uneven ware is a sign of a unlubed caliper and bracket i would tear into the brakes and lube the bolts that hold the caliper on and clean the flat spots on the bracket and caliper and greese those with anti seze

my 89 has one flat the the caliper rides on the bracket when i checked mine i took the caliper off cleaned the flat spots and greesed everything and the car stop better than before

just a thought by no means am i an expert on this but i would look ane see that everything is properly greesed and go from there

good luck

let us know how it turns out

my brakes are acting really weird, and its pissing me off. They work just fine in drive, but when I try to stop in reverse the brakes grab and catch, eventually making it impossible to drive in reverse, until I REALLY give it some gas, then it frees up again. What is this???? do I need to replace the rotors or pads? I hear a metal clank over sharp dips in the road, so maybe I separated the rotor from its hub??? It messed up, and I need my car. Thanks for the help everyone.

What Car?

rear break drums go bad after 100k and need replacing.

if roters then you probably need resurfacing.

if you hear alot of metal to metal contact then you probably to late and will have to replace both pads and rotors:(

IMO if you dont really know what your doing take it to a shop. You can never be to safe when it comes to breaks.

I got it fixed, to answer the questions, my car is a 94 Cutlass supreme, with the disc brakes all around.

The problem was the T60 bolt that holds the front caliper (driver side) to the wheel hub assembly, was loose. I have no idea how this happened, but it was a quick and easy, and most importantly cheap, fix.

Thanks for the input anyhow guys.