Couple of Top Questions

ILoveSun

How much wind noise are you guys getting? Also, when you get a new top does it come with the new seals, or do those remain with the bows and frame?

And finally, would I cause any problems by sealing the vent along the top of the rear curtain where it joins the actual top?

We've had some pretty severe storms here lately and water has been blowing in through those vents.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

-A bit. Not as much as my old 92 Mustang convertible, but that's really the only benchmark I have. I have a tired, shrunk, ripped up original top on my 95 vert.

-I don't think replacement tops come with seals. I've improved my seals by cutting small pieces of seal material and gluing it to the ends of the existing seals, so when the top is closed the gaps are filled better. I did it mostly for waterproofing, but it probably helped with wind noise. But it's a convertible, wind noise is part of the deal. I've got an aftermarket stereo, that helps too :)

-For the rear curtain, maybe. Have someone raise and lower the top and watch how it folds up. If you permanently seal certain places, it may not fold up correctly, or the folding could rip open the seal. My rear curtain also lets in some rain during windy rainstorms. I've installed a drain in my stow so the water just drains out. Also, in the winter months when I know I won't be lowering the top, I put some small pieces of black Gorilla tape over some of the seams (especially the B-pillar seam), which helps a lot but leaves a sticky mess when I take it off for the summer.

Thanks everyone. I seem to have more noise on the passenger side - sounds like the top of the window is barely open. I've been going around and adding strips of small vacuum hose in assorted crevasses in the seals where possible, and used weatherstrip adhesive around the rear window. Leaks are getting better, but still have very annoying drips on left arm and leg once driving after rain. Water is storing somewhere(?).

Thinking about masking off around rear window (overlapping edge of window about 1/4" and surrounding area and spraying a coat if that aerosol rubber coating (like you see in tv where they spray a screen door) to try and finally seal my rear window until I can spring for a new cloth top.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

All convertibles have wind noise. I own a 94 and it has wind noise. Nothing unbearable, just typical 90's car wind noise. The bigger issue is that the weatherstripping where the windows are don't seal right and leak water when it rains hard.

I have a new top, and the wind noise is minimal. I actually think it is quiet compared to other convertibles. I have a small leak at the passengers side door, but I have found the problem. the weather stripping is moving and I have a 1/2 gap at times. I have to take it back to the convertible place and get it fixed.

I have a new top, and the wind noise is minimal. I actually think it is quiet compared to other convertibles. I have a small leak at the passengers side door, but I have found the problem. the weather stripping is moving and I have a 1/2 gap at times. I have to take it back to the convertible place and get it fixed.

Is it noticeably quieter than your factory top? Also, what leaks did your new top cure and which ones didn't it?

Thanks,

Greg

• 1 month later...

I have a '94 'vert and recently drove it in a good heavy rain. Water leaked through the weatherstrip joint over my shoulder, dripped onto the shoulder belt and soaked my shoulder. It has fairly supple and soft weatherstripping. I packed that joint full of dielectric grease (an ammount the size of a pea). Hopefully that will repel water in the next shower I happen to find myself in.

Scotty

I have been pleasantly surprised how quiet (other than my exhaust) the verts have been. My 94 is a bit louder than the 93 which is odd cause the top on the 93 is shot.

Scott

Heavy rains in both of mine I get wet. Even of you read some of the old posts in the vert section you will see its a pretty common issue. Even an old olds field engineer said that its always been an issue.