2001 impala ls downpipe replacement

g25racer

Hello all w-body forum members. Newbie here to this forum but, not to w-bodies, , mechanics, or forums. I am an avid user on IF forums and hope to expand my knowledge base with the help of you guys.

I have a 2001 impala LS 3.8 w/ 130k miles. It is my pride and joy. I have dumped some money into fixing/replacing bad parts on it already. I still have many more parts to be replaced. It's never ending but, it's my baby and I like to take care of every little thing.

I just purchased a w-body store 2.5" SS catless downpipe. There is no emissions testing in MI and I don't want to deal with cat's anymore therefor I chose catless. Yes, I also purchased an 02 emulator. My question: Are the exhaust bolts studs or just bolts? Meaning are they connected to the exhaust or standalone and you can just replace them? I believe they are studs but, I am not 100% on that. I am worried that I will break a stud off and be screwed. What problems could arise and how could I solve them?

If they are studs and one breaks off: Could I just saw the rest of it off flush, drill a hole through the head, and use a smaller/longer bolt?

I do plan on using a bunch of PB blaster and possibly heating the bolts up but, all I have at my disposal is a propane torch. You think that will be enough?

I did NOT buy new gaskets like I should have but, I will antiseize the bolts so, I can replace them shortly after.

I know a decent amount about these cars but, some things I just don't have experience with on them.

I also have a stack of parts sitting in my room for a total top end rebuild which, is being done soon (LIM, UIM gasket, plugs, FPR, IAC, the full works)

Thanks for your time and help w-body members and enthusiasts

Update: Inspected the stock downpipe and decided the rust on the downstream flange was too rough. Bolts and flange were solid rust. Dang michigan salt sucks. Will be waiting for the funds to have a shop install the downpipe and have the flange and a section of the pipe replaced as well.

Make sure they replace the gaskets while the shop is at it. It makes no since to replace exhaust components and not the gaskets, at least the "donut" gaskets that is at the manifold to downpipe connection as it is a pain when it goes out.

I just had a local shop put mine in for me and get rid of my bad resonator. I think I paid 'em like $80 for all of that?(even though a year later I'm pretty sure I have an exhaust leak somewhere)

Not sure how else to put it, but basically just some hole in the wall mexican shop ha. So I don't think there'd be any warranty. But I could be wrong.

I just said fuck it, and will take care of the leak when I put my headers on that I've had for a year already.

^^ I will def have to find a smaller exhaust shop in order to replace the downpipe. Seeing as how it's a catless pipe, technically it would be illegal for shops to do the install. But, I think I can find a shop to do it. I have a friend with a good rep at a certain shop and can likely get it done there. Just waiting on cash now :mad:

I did the exact same thing as Euro on my 02 Impala. I took it to a buddy of mine in Milwaukee, gave him my old downpipe as a tradeoff, since it still had all the precious metals in them. I then had a local shop dump the reso because it had a leak for $100. If you're going to take the car in for downpipe install, dump your reso. Mine rusted at approx 130k so you're just about there.

Resonator is already gone! Mine rusted out at about 110k miles. Had mine cut out and replaced with pipe for $80 at Muffler Man. So exhaust flange to the res delete pipe is all that needs to be replaced. Later on down the road I will get it all replaced and do a catback.