Where is the horn located?

jackhartjr

Hi folks, I have had a problem with the horn simply blowing out of the blue!

My shop went into the steering wheel and bent a tab to fix it.

A few weeks later I went to crank it and it was dead, totally dead! Took it out, went to Advance, they charged and checked it, no problems. Alternator is charging fine too.

I took it to my shop, they seemed to think it has something open, tried to find it, it was late on Saturday, they said to bring it back and leave it.

I went to charge the battery yesterday to take it to the shop, it started charging fine. I got home a few hours later, there would be a buzzing from under the battery compartment for about 2 to 3 seconds, it would quit and about 10 to 15 seconds later it would do it again.

Is the horn under the battery area?

Anyone run into this?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

The horn is inside of the driver side fender by the battery. Remove the washer fluid tank and the battery and you will have access to it. There are actually two horns right there.

Edited by 94 olds vert

I bet you have steering wheel controls.

Your horn contacts on the steering wheel are shorting out. your horns were probably unhooked to compensate*, rather than a proper fix. the horns themselves are behind the battery in the fender (alternatively, the high tone is there and the low is on the bumper substructure, below the the headlight)

*maybe your horns quit by themselves, consider this possibility, as well, as many of mine have.

I have not yet done this fix, but I would install 3m tape in the horn contacts of the pad to prevent contact between the parts of contact without due force. seems the problem is mostly of the two "wing edge" contacts, and not the center contact. two 7mm (or 1/4"?) bolts unhook the wheel insert from the wheel from behind.

In a temporary measure, you could just pull the relay until you create a proper fix, the relay is on the auxiliary power fuse box, on the driver's fender area.

Edited by Crazy K
some cars had 7mm, some had 1/4 iirc

Yep, two 7 mm bolts to get the horn pad off. You'll need a very skinny socket- my cheapo ones didn't fit when I went to disconnect my side horn buttons, but my Craftsman socket fit fine.