z34 strut question

z34dumas

soo about 6 months ago my front struts were comin up and slappin against the cap on top of the tower... making a horrible noise and deforming the caps. i went to jack up the car and the passenger side strut assembly blew apart. i literally replaced everything front and back except the springs and it was fine for awhile but now they are rubbin the caps again..... could this mean my springs are wore? anyone else have this problem before?

:eek: That should never, ever happen.

First guess. The strut nut that holds the cartridge in is absent, the threads in the knuckle are stripped or it is in some way not holding the strut firmly in the housing.

Second Guess. The Strut mount is beyond ruined and was not replaced last time.

no the mounts are brand new i put everything in myself... and the nut is there i checked everything and made sure it was all tight but im still getting the noise and scrubbing on the top plates and the tops of the strut rod are mushroomed out. i cant figure it out

With the strut removal tool, do the cartridges come out through the top? If so, how do they come out?

Take off the top nut, then that big rubber bushing. There is a weird shaped metal cap thing under the rubber that has to loosen about a half turn to be removed, then the strut cartridge is held in place by a cap with 3 holes in it(this is where the tool comes into play).

Is that top metal retainer under the rubber bushing damaged?

I just Replaced my strut cartridges today. I only did the new monroe sensa-tracs and the monroe strut mount. The bumper that is supposed to be between the mount and the top of the cartridge disintegrated practically into dust. I could not find a suitable replacement, and dealer wants as much as the strut it's self. I put everything back together without the bumpers and the results are great! The remover tool from auto zone was a lifesaver.

hmm is it possible that the struts you have are for a base model? Could be a bit taller.. It happens alot at the part stores. Like my INTL is the FE3 but if you dont tell em at the part store theyll give you base model parts. But this is the damnedest thing though.....