Are these signs of a failing altenator?

Nas Escobar

Well, when I bought my Cutlass, it had to be jumped in order to start. My first instinct was that the battery was dead on it. After 3 days of owning it, I've come to realize that the battery may have been good after all. I went outside to start the car, and the battery was drained again. I jumped it, and drove around as if everything was normal until night came. It is then that I noticed that my lights dim whenever I run any accessories. If I use my blinkers, the lights dim and go back to normal. If I brake, the same thing happens.

One interesting thing is that whenever I have my e-flashers on and the car is running, the voltage drops from 14 to 12, if not less, or if I'm idling, the lights will randomly surge.

With that said, should I look at the alternator, or shall I look for something that may be draining my battery?

So there is a way to test the alt when it's in the car?

and I ask excluding the obvious way that we all have been taught to do it.

Edited by Nas Escobar

O'reilly Auto or Autozone will test both your alternator and battery for free while in the car.

The problem with testing the on the car tho is that it wont diagnose a cable problem and you could be buying parts that arent needed. Take both the battery and alt to the store and have them bench test them.

Well I avoided something drastic there. Turns out the dodo head that worked at Advance Auto Parts didn't tighten the positive terminal all the way. I was able to take it off with my fingers, as I was going to clean the terminals hoping it fixed my issue.

Glad it wasn't serious. Also replaced a side marker bulb since it wouldn't blink when the flashers were on (It's a front one).