88 cutlass 2.8 dies when warmed up

mgnourse

heres the deal.. My 88 Cutlass 2.8 witrh barely 100,000 gently driven miles, starts and runs smooth as silk when cold, after it reaches about the 5th lightbar on the temp gauge(before the cooling fan switches on) the engine hesitates and dies. It will not restart until the engine is all the way cold again. We have checked the fuel pressure, its where its supposed to be, the fuel pump is working. We have replaced the TPS, because thats what the code reader told us to do. I have changed the coil packs with NEW ones, and the ECM board they attach to. Same problem.. Im not sure whats going on, The mechanic doesnt really have all thos fancy hi end diagnostic machines, just a snap on reader and theres NO codes showing up..

I have had a few guys tell me that the coolant sensor could be the problem, sending a bad signal to the computer once it reaches normal temp, but shuts off the engine.. not sure yet if thats it. Both the mechanic and myself are frustrated as hell... any ideas?? The engine is getting spark, its getting fuel, its getting Air.. all three components...HELP please..

• 3 weeks later...

My 88 cutlass is doing the exact same thing, I also have 100,000 gently used miles. I've checked every thing and had 2 different mechanics look at it. I checked for codes there was none. I got spark, pressure, air. Give me a call. If you figure out what it is because I'm stuck. 509 674 8338]