Flowmaster 40 series on 94 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L?

67eleanorgt500

"The problem comes from the front 3 cylinders having longer tubing than the rear 3 cylinders (unequal length header). No matter what you do after the headers you always end up with the same annoying V6 raspy gurgle. How do you fix that?"

Maybe a crossover pipe between the pipes? Not sure how someone could do it, but could that equalize things just a bit, and tone down the rasp?

post-2048-143689161427_thumb.jpg

This is what I'm talking about- exit dead center between the front and rear heads, then use a U-bend to go back towards the firewall and back into the stock exhaust. Only the crossover pipe needs to be reworked, which is easy and cheap, any decent exhaust shop can do it if you bring them the mandrel bends. Notice the magic marker line near the merge- this is how close it was to the center of the engine. Later I moved some pipes and got it to be exactly in the center.

post-2048-14368916144_thumb.jpg

I will post a video soon, need to weld 1 more resonator in place.

Alright I want to thank everyone for their pics and videos helping me decide on a exhaust system for my car. Now I understand that the 95,96 or 97 Chevy Monte Carlo and 95-97 Olds Cutlass Supreme have the exact same engines in them. Which is the 3.4L, v6, 24V DOHC 215HP. Does anybody have flowmasters or magnaflow mufflers on their Monte Carlo? Anyways with all the information everyone has provided for me well it's not helping me decide on what go want. Just about everyone has a cat and res delete with straight pipes back to mufflers or just the cat without resonator and straight pipes back. That doesn't help me at all with my exhaust.

I have my cat, resonator and looking for some good mufflers that match close to Oem. So, can someone tell me what Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers come close to the stock sound of the exhaust system on my car? Thanks.

Edited by 67eleanorgt500

Read this if you want to do an exhaust job.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/79816-Lessons-Learned

Get some Walker mufflers if you want OEM style mufflers. They're set up the same way as the stock ones. Magnaflow and Flowmaster are just for sound, if you don't want the loud sound then I would advice against getting their products.

Anybody have a flowmaster 40 series on their 3.4L Cutlass?

I need some advice, help so I choose the right fitment and muffler setup. I want to put flowmaster mufflers on my car, which has dual exhaust outlets. I don't want my car sounding like a foreign fart can lawnmower. If I can get my car to sound like it is but with a little more of an aggressive sound to it not high pitched more of a deeper low sound tone. Not too much muscle though. Can I just swap out my old muffler and put in place the flowmaster with the new tips? Would I have to cut my old catalytic convertor off and install a new one? I don't want the flowmaster 40 series dual out. I want the single outlet position from center. Here is what I have chosen: Flowmaster #8042541 40 series 2.5 in. Inlet/Outlet, 409 stainless steel.

Getting mufflers and tips. Do I get the tips the same size diameter as the outlet on the muffler? I'm getting 2" inlet & outlet so should my exhaust tips be 2" too?

tips can have a noticable effect on tone..... you don't have to get a fartcannon to make it sound like a fartcannon.

i like the results that same-size turndowns and angle-cut tips give. others..... not so much.

tips can have a noticable effect on tone..... you don't have to get a fartcannon to make it sound like a fartcannon.

i like the results that same-size turndowns and angle-cut tips give. others..... not so much.

No what I meant was where the tip connect to the muffler outlet do they both need to be same size diameter. I'm not talking about tip size.

in that case, generally you will want to keep it the same size whenever possible. changes in flow area cause exhaust gasses to speed/slow, which can cause interesting things to happen to the gasses upstream.

in that case, generally you will want to keep it the same size whenever possible. changes in flow area cause exhaust gasses to speed/slow, which can cause interesting things to happen to the gasses upstream.

Alright thanks! That's all I needed to know.

67eleanorgt500,

How much do you want to hear inside the car? IMHO the C6 tips look heavy enough to not drone inside the car. I had some '98- 2000 Caddy STS tips on my '94 Cutlass Vert. The tips were large volume wise and thin walled. They droned / resonated inside the car no matter what mufflers I ran. That includes Magnaflow performance (not XL) thrush turbo and hooker aero chambers. Tips make a big difference. Even with good tips the Magnaflow XL droned a bit (only on the inside). The Dynomax ultra flow welded had a hollow echo sound at several different RPMs (only on the inside). The Trush turbos had a loud raspy sound (only on the inside)

• 4 weeks later...