Flowmaster 40 series on 94 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L?

67eleanorgt500

Anybody have a flowmaster 40 series on their 3.4L Cutlass?

I need some advice, help so I choose the right fitment and muffler setup. I want to put flowmaster mufflers on my car, which has dual exhaust outlets. I don't want my car sounding like a foreign fart can lawnmower. If I can get my car to sound like it is but with a little more of an aggressive sound to it not high pitched more of a deeper low sound tone. Not too much muscle though. Can I just swap out my old muffler and put in place the flowmaster with the new tips? Would I have to cut my old catalytic convertor off and install a new one? I don't want the flowmaster 40 series dual out. I want the single outlet position from center. Here is what I have chosen: Flowmaster #8042541 40 series 2.5 in. Inlet/Outlet, 409 stainless steel.

Edited by 67eleanorgt500

I would reccomend the Maganflow mufflers for the 3.4l DOHC. I'm sure Jake91 would agree to that as well.

The mufflers you can just cut the old ones off and install the new mufflers with the new tips. You should need to touch your CAT unless it is no good then now would be a good time to replace it.

What kind of tips did you consider?

When I get home I can post up some videos for you. Of Flowmaster and Maganflow so you can hear the difference.

I would reccomend the Maganflow mufflers for the 3.4l DOHC. I'm sure Jake91 would agree to that as well.

The mufflers you can just cut the old ones off and install the new mufflers with the new tips. You should need to touch your CAT unless it is no good then now would be a good time to replace it.

What kind of tips did you consider?

When I get home I can post up some videos for you. Of Flowmaster and Maganflow so you can hear the difference.

I'm not sure on what tips I want at the moment. I know I want polished stainless steel tips.

Some videos of the flowmaster and magnaflow would be good. Thanks.

This is a members 1993 'vert with the 40s Flowmaters.

Jake's 'vert with Maganflows.

Here is my 'vert with Magnaflows.

Corvette C6 tips look great on a Cutlass.

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

if you dont want loud, you dont want a 40 series. If you insist on Flowmaster, go 50 series.

So are you talking about the 50 series delta flow - 3 chamber muffler?

3.1s and 3.4s do not make the same sound. If they did I would of welded up some flowmasters to mine.

That sounds really good with the flowmasters.. Makes me want to put new flowmasters on my 3.1.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. After viewing the videos here and some on youtube I'm still undecided what to put on my car. Really didn't like the sound of the Magnaflows so I think I'll stick with Flowmaster for now. I previewed the sample videos on the flowmaster site. But it's hard to tell which muffler will work because each car engine puts out a different sound through each muffler. So a 40 or 50 series that sounds good on a 1955 Bel Air or Mercedes will sound different on my car. I don't want to choose the wrong muffler then I end up being stuck with it because you can't return it.

A V6 will not have the same sound as a 50s era V8.

The Magnaflows on my vert are fairly loud. I always hear the exhaust while I drive. I wouldn't want it any other way.

now that I have new exhaust tips, i'm now thinking about different mufflers. If i come to the wbody nationals, it would be cool to hear your exhausts. Anyone going to have the flowmasters at the nationals?

now that I have new exhaust tips, i'm now thinking about different mufflers. If i come to the wbody nationals, it would be cool to hear your exhausts. Anyone going to have the flowmasters at the nationals?

When and where are the Nationals?

after hearing Nate's in toledo, it only made me that much more excited to put mine on. I've never heard an aftermarket setup I liked until hearing Jakes and Nates online, and even more so in person. Everything else is bleh IMO

• 1 year later...

What does everyone have on their 3.4L LQ1 DOHC for an exhaust system? I'm keeping the cat, resonator and want to upgrade to magnaflow or flowmaster but not sure which series sounds good with my options. Please send me your videos and tell me what you have on your car?

Photobucket's under maintenance right now, but that should fix itself later...

How "import ish" do the Magnaflows sound like in real life? They're too reminiscent of a 4 banger in the vids.

I personally want to do exhaust as well, but I want a rumble, not something that sounds like a wet fart.

I was thinking something along this but a bit more deep. I know the Jeep 4.0 is known for its deep tones, and I was hoping to get something similar. IDK if the fact that the 4.0 is an inline might have a lot to do with its deep tone.

[video=youtube;wJC-iWjrOfM]