Convertible top leakings help!

1994RedVert

My top is leaking in the drivers side and passenger side corners where the top touches the front window. Also, where can I get all new weather stripping? The weather stripping from GM is over 200 dollars. I just want my car to stop leaking.

Have you adjusted the clamps? They adjust by turning them and that sometimes makes the fit a little tighter. I also get pine needles in the groove where the seal mates, and if I don't clean the needles out, water comes in.

Put some dielectric grease on the rubber a-pillar seal. Worked wonders for mine. Can be found at about any autoparts store.

not to be an ass, but thats a very common spot for any and all convertables nomatter the make year or model.

good luck...

comming from a jeep dealer, and seeing the ammount of waterleaks that come through, it gets to be kinda crazy sometimes. its possible to stop it, itll just take a lot of time to hunt dow nthe best spot to seal or what works and what doesnt.

I understand that it is common for convertibles to leak as you say. But, I have own three convertibles now and this is the only one that ever leaked.

I understand that it is common for convertibles to leak as you say. But, I have own three convertibles now and this is the only one that ever leaked.

Yeah, leaking is a common problem for the Cutlass convertibles. Ours leaked like a faucet when we got it. I had my 1996 Mustang convertible for 7 years and it never leaked a drop.

Yeah, leaking is a common problem for the Cutlass convertibles. Ours leaked like a faucet when we got it. I had my 1996 Mustang convertible for 7 years and it never leaked a drop.

What did you do to fix the leaking problem in your cutlass?

What did you do to fix the leaking problem in your cutlass?

See my post above ^. Mine was leaking at the corners (top of the rubber a-pillar seal) and a little bit below.

Edited by White92Cutlass

• 1 month later...
Put some dielectric grease on the rubber a-pillar seal. Worked wonders for mine. Can be found at about any autoparts store.

I looked at autozone and there are different dielectric grease. Do I use the tune-up one?

I looked at autozone and there are different dielectric grease. Do I use the tune-up one?

3M makes a silicone paste that cames in a can with a brush applicator in the lid...I use that..I also use a spray silicone used for rubber seals and spray on a rag to apply...wihich reminds me..I haven't lubed my seals up in a while..I need to do it!

Yes, I use Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up grease.

P.S. Are you keeping your car now?

The only thing i have used was a silicon spray. If die electric grease works better, i'll use it. Want to keep my weather strips from drying up.

The only thing i have used was a silicon spray. If die electric grease works better, i'll use it. Want to keep my weather strips from drying up.

My experience is that use the paste if the leaks are bad...most of the time I can get decent results with the spray...less mess...

3M makes a silicone paste that cames in a can with a brush applicator in the lid...I use that..I also use a spray silicone used for rubber seals and spray on a rag to apply...wihich reminds me..I haven't lubed my seals up in a while..I need to do it!

Do you know the name of the 3M paste and spray silicone off hand? That way I can pick some up tomorrow and apply it. Thanks.

Yes, I use Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up grease.

P.S. Are you keeping your car now?

Yeah, I am going to keep it. I am enjoying it again, it was just a little overwhelming when all the problems were happening. Now I am going to change out my battery, alternator and both my cables that screw into my battery and see if that helps my electrical problem. And get a new top hopefully before winter. Plus you all are great and I am getting a lot of parts that I needed from a lot of you guys parting out your cars. I really do appreciate everything!

Do you know the name of the 3M paste and spray silicone off hand? That way I can pick some up tomorrow and apply it. Thanks.

3M actually makes the paste...comes in a white can. You might have to go to a parts store that carries body shop supplies for that. The silicone spray any parts store should have that. Just tell them its for rubber weatherstrips. It's used for lots of other lube applications too.

• 4 weeks later...