3100 power steering pump

rich_e777

Ok my PS pump has been making that noise they do before the go and also it seems that the fluid is getting out of the reservior cap(WTF?) after i just bought a new one. Ive already flushed it once and it actally sounded worse so its got to go. So a few questions, with fluid being allowed to escape thru the top of the res. is it worth keeping? if not how hard is it to swap the res. (and sensor in the res. i believe) to the new pump and is there a auto retail store that will transfer the pulley to the new pump for a semi-descent non anal reaming price? Nomally i`d do it but i`ve been stiffed a few grand on my last job and the PS pump is more likely to be thrown out of a closed window or against a wall if i have to F with it today.

Never ever ever buy a plane with the thought of flipping it for cash, it dont work that way.:lol:

Well, if you need a new pump, just get a complete one that has a reservoir already on it. I'm sure the store will be able to swap the pulley for you. They did for me for free.

I've had pumps whine on me a lot. I went through about 4 or 5 different kind of pumps before I found one that whined the least. I was told to use some Barr stop leak power steering fluid in it and that will help reduce that whine sound. I'll have to try try that when I get my CS back out on the road.

It's really easy to put in a new power steering pump. Take the tension of the serpentine belt, remove it. There are about 4 bolts that hold the pump to the car. Also a couple hoses and a sensor remove those. It's easy to make a mess out of the fluid so you could remove it before you take the pump out of the car. Then installing the new one is the reverse. All in all doesn't take that long.

Then you'll need to bleed the system afterwards to remove any air. Basically jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground. Turn the wheel lock to lock about 10 times and then check your fluid level and add an necessary. Then repeat.

Yeah i can take the thing off in my sleep or inebriated basically the same thing. Money is kindof tight right now so im looking at $50 w/o out the res. and about $70 with one and thats after all the core charge BS. Where can you find that Barr stop leak you mentioned? Ive never really messed with any kind of additives but if you`ve had pretty good exp with it i might give it a try. The pulley transfer im still looking for, autozone and advanced auto will only rent me the tools but the whole money thing, my other "ride" kindof took alot of that. If i had to transfer the pulley myself which is what will probably end up happening whats the best way going about doing that?

Fluid removal is easy, in another PS pump thread a guy mentioned hooking a drill up to the pulley and ive got to admit that worked wonderfully fast.

Renting a tool from one of those stores you put a deposit down and then when you bring the tool back you get your money back.

I'm pretty sure Advanced or Auto zone would carry stop leak power steering fluid.

I just did this yesterday, literally...AutoZone has the removal tool...it was a $40.00 deposit, which I'll get back when I return their tool.

Renting a tool from one of those stores you put a deposit down and then when you bring the tool back you get your money back.

I'm pretty sure Advanced or Auto zone would carry stop leak power steering fluid.

How much trouble is it?

I`ll have to wait another week for my paycheck to be able to rent one thats why i was asking if anyone did it for next to nothing. Ive only got about $90 bucks to play with til then and i need my car streetworthy yesterday.

And again about the reservior how is it that fluid is getting out of the cap? The res. isnt warped or cracked and ive purchased a new cap but still its getting out. Should i just replace it? It`d make everything easier but i`m trying to save some money here.

What about a PS fluid filter? good idea? I saw them on autozone or advanced auto`s website.

The tank isn't hard at all to replace...there's two metal clips that hold it on. Just use a fair sized flat blade screwdriver to wedge up the center of the clip, then gently tap on the clip to slide it off of the pump. Once both clips are removed, the tank lifts right up. Make sure to check that the o-ring at the inlet of the tank is present, lubricate it with a little oil, and press the tank back onto the power steering body, then gently tap the clips back into place.. You'll notice the clips are tapered, they only go on and off in one direction.

The pulley isn't too bad, there's just enough space with the coolant recovery tank present to even replace the pulley with the pump still on the car, but since you're going to have it off to replace the tank, do it then.

Check the pulley carefully for cracks...it's actually PLASTIC. I "thought" I saw small cracks in mine, and ignored them, yesterday, the pulley broke, and nearly stranded me at work...fortunately, I actually had a spare pump in the trunk.

How much trouble is it?

I`ll have to wait another week for my paycheck to be able to rent one thats why i was asking if anyone did it for next to nothing. Ive only got about $90 bucks to play with til then and i need my car streetworthy yesterday.

And again about the reservior how is it that fluid is getting out of the cap? The res. isnt warped or cracked and ive purchased a new cap but still its getting out. Should i just replace it? It`d make everything easier but i`m trying to save some money here.

What about a PS fluid filter? good idea? I saw them on autozone or advanced auto`s website.

Yeah the pulley is worn pretty good, I hope i can get it thru the week and i`ll go ahead rent the tool and get a decent looking one from pull a part here.

Thanks for the info:thumbsup: