rear struts

brake

Just did the front struts (bearings/cartridge/mount) and now I aim to do the rear ones, it's been taking bumps real hard in the rear lately. They're original AFAIK. Mounts are probably shot.

Is there anything to the rear strut besides the shock, strut to knuckle hardware, and upper mount? Am I forgetting anything?

It's getting a new leaf spring too...it sags in the rear pretty bad (one isolator is missing and the spring is starting to break on the other side.) Should ride like a new car by the time I'm done.

Since complete strut assemblies are available for these cars I might just get a pair of those, depending on price locally. RockAuto prices are great but shipping a big strut is expensive as shit.

disclaimer: no, I am not converting to coilovers.

Theres four bolts. 2 up top and two at the knuckle. The top ones you don't want to break. Spray them a couple nights before and heat it up if you can the night before. Those are 15 mm.

The bottom ones are 1" and with a good sized breaker bar you should be able to break them free. They are splined at the ends so leave the nut on past the threads and hit them out. Be careful not to damage the threads.

It's the strut and mount. The cartridge should already be attached to the knuckle mount.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions I might be able to help. I recently did this too.

When you remove the carpet you will see two bolts coming up from the strut tower. Spray those with PB blaster or similar. The bolts actually come out from the wheel well because the head is inside the wheel well.

You might need an alignment after doing the rear struts.

good call. i'll get the front end as close as possible at school and have a shop do the front and rear when i finish up with the rear struts.

I haven't priced all the stuff for the front struts, How much are we looking at here?

Where are you getting the leaf spring too?

I got my stuff from RockAuto. You need a couple different things

MONROE 73305 x2 - strut cartridge

MONROE 63622 x2 - strut boots - if you need them, you may not

MONROE 901921 x2 - upper mounts - you will need these

MONROE 902994 - coil spring seat for one side

MONROE 902995 - coil spring seat for the other side

Get them from the same manufacturer and you can combine shipping.

While you're in there it would be in your best interest to do any brake/wheel bearing/ball joint work. I replaced both ball joints because it takes an extra 5-10 minutes per side when it's apart like that.

as for the leaf spring, I'm buying it locally. I've only been able to find one, and the shop only still has it in the back room because the owner/operator has the same car I do.

good luck man!

Do the 2 bolts just thread up into the trunk from underneath? I figure the bolts would be through some nuts in the trunk but there aren't any.

Ordered the struts today, going to start hitting the bolts with various penetrating oils once or twice a day til they get here so they won't be too hard to work loose.

Correct they thread up inside the trunk from the wheel well. They are 15mm. Spray them good, they can be a pain if you have one break on you.

When removing them you should be turning your wrench left.

I'll be doing it in the shop at school, so at least I've got equipment if I need to get a broken bolt out.

Thanks!

Will I need to take the monoleaf out to replace the struts?

If you can heat them up a bit first. It will help to break it free from the rust. No the mono leaf does not have to be removed. The strut mount bolts into the knuckle with two 1" bolts. Leave the nut on the end of them. because they have a spline, so when you hit them out you won't damage the threads.

Your welcome :)

I didn't even attempt to remove them before I heated them suckers up. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Make sure there are no wires on top of the strut towers either. And I hope everything goes well for you.