Newer Impala Aluminum Subframe Compatibility?

sleepingBUIty99

I recently got into a "LITTLE" accident and it bent the front cross section of my subframe. I found an aluminum subframe out of a newer Impala that had been slammed in the rear. Could i use this subframe in my 1999 Regal GS, w.e any modifications?

w-body.com/showthread.php/50652-W-Aluminium-Subframe

I have not seen any pics to confirm or deny whether they fit or not. I know from first hand experience that the steel subframes fit between gen 1 & 2, but I haven't looked at an aluminum subframe closely enough to see if they are the same. Anyone have good pics of the subframes side by side or measurements of any differences? If I get the chance this weekend I will take a look at my friend's '01 Impala and try to get measurements but my camera is downright terrible.

what? gen 1 and gen 1.5 cars use the same cradle (except 88-90 frames that do not have the lq1 mounting points)

gen 1/1.5 WILL NOT FIT gen 2.

But gen 2 cradles can be inter-swapped. This one i know has been done: 98 gtp can use an aluminum frame from an impala and NOT A SINGLE OTHER PART is different. same control arms, same power steering lines, rack mount points, etc etc etc. i cannot speak to whether the 04+ gp has the same cradle. ALSO... if you have a gen 2 U-van... same cradle again!!! (excluding AWD models)

Not sure if the aluminum subframe would fit in a gen1/1.5 but it will definetly fit in any gen2. If you get one you'll want one from an 01+, they gave them more welds that weren't there on the 2000 making them stronger. I have one from an 02 for sale in CNY if anyone's interested.

so will the Aluminum cradle fit gen 1 and 1.5 cars?

No, at least not without the complete front suspension as well. And LQ1 cars have a different, stronger mounting system that's different than all other V6's that requires the 91+ first gen cradle.

Not sure if the aluminum subframe would fit in a gen1/1.5 but it will definetly fit in any gen2. If you get one you'll want one from an 01+, they gave them more welds that weren't there on the 2000 making them stronger. I have one from an 02 for sale in CNY if anyone's interested.

Aluminum subframe was 06+ only...

No, all 06 plus 3rd gens have them... I dont remember if the 3rd gen GPs got them in 04 or 06 though

My brothers base 2008 GP has an aluminum subframe, don't know about the other years.

Edit: misread the post, guess this is a worthless comment now o-well......

Edited by cubsfan24

Aluminum subframes came on 2000 - present Monte Carlo / Impala, 2004-2008 Grand Prix, and 2005-2009 Lacrosse. 1997-2003 Regal, Grand Prix, and Intrigue were still iron.

Edited by jman093

Thanks for correcting me

Honestly, if we consider the 95-99 Lumi's and Montes "Gen 1.5," the 00-05 Monte / Impy should be considered "Gen 2.5" as there's more difference in them from the older gen 2's than the Gen 1 and 1.5's have.

I agree that there are some interesting differences in the 2nd gens. The monte/impala has bigger brakes than the others, and the aluminum subframe, although aside from the brakes and subframe they're pretty much the same car. I also found it interesting that the century/regal/intreague have a 109" wheelbase while the monte/impala/grand prix have a 110.5" wheelbase.

• 12 years later...