gmrulz4u

My charging system pretty much works fine all the time, but every now and then, the voltage will just suddendly drop by like 2 volts, and not recover full power until it's re-started again.

It's starting to get cold here in the mornings, and so today I'm driving to work with the heat on, idling at a Stop light, and then all of a sudden you could hear the heater fans slow down dramatically, and I look over and see my digital voltmeter is now almost 2 volts less than it just was two seconds ago!!?? I didn't turn anything ON, I didn't turn the steering wheel, and the engines cooling fans were still OFF!?

Why the heck does it do this?? It stayed like this all the way until I got to work. So whatever caused it to drop voltage this much, remained a problem for the next 10 minutes of driving. So it wasn't something that just happens for 1 second and then goes backs-up to normal voltage.

Also, I noticed something else. I turned the heat ON pretty much right away after starting the car, I would say I let it get warm for about 2-3 minutes, then turned on the Defroster(I could hardly see). As I was doing the normal stop and go driving to work, the engine temperature got up to about 180 degrees F'. But then, all of a sudden, the temperature just started dropping, and kept dropping until it was only at 120 degrees!!!(verified with scanner) At this point the heat coming out of the vents was barely warm.

This has me completely baffled! Both things make no sense! The primary cooling fan doesn't turn ON until 227 degrees F'. My thermostat is a 195 degree F' stock version(about 1 year old). Plus, just 2 months ago I had the cooling system completely flushed and filled at a local shop.

Now it's almost like my cooling system works TOO good!! Good for the engine maybe, but not good for me when it's sub-zero degrees out, and I'm trying to warm inside the car!!

As for the charging system problem, maybe there's something built into the alternator where as soon as it gets to a certain HOT temperature, it's output decreases?? I don't know, I'm lost on this...

Anyone?

THANKS!:)

I've never had any of the other symptoms you described, but I have had my climate control system's fan speed fluctuate. I have the digital climate control system and it will do this even when the system is not in "auto" mode. The fan will slow down by itself and then speed back up again after a few seconds. Very odd.

I've never had any of the other symptoms you described, but I have had my climate control system's fan speed fluctuate. I have the digital climate control system and it will do this even when the system is not in "auto" mode. The fan will slow down by itself and then speed back up again after a few seconds. Very odd.

***Heres a "Heads up" for you Teejay, that's how my Climate control started it's run into the trashcan...finally, without touching a thing, going from the preset to full heat full fan with nothing short of turning the car off and setting a bit would it re-set and function for awhile. ya best start looking for another Climate control unit for your dash. Brian is the only one I know of so far that could correctly tell me what was wrong and help me get it corrected. I found a climate control on ebay and the r & R is a five minute job...good luck!

Tom (K6TC)***