Digi UB3 adapter

94 olds vert

I found that pic in google images after searching "small electrical connector". Looking around on ebay there is one with a pigtail for about $100, all the rest are just the clusters by themselves. I may get that one and have one as a back up.

Sorry for the out of focus pic, the J7 camera likes to hunt around for a good focus for awhile before deciding on the wrong one.

Its a 32 pin connection here.

7pug6sy.jpg

I saw a flat 16 pin ribbon for sale somewhere the other day and I thought if the connector fir the pins to get two of those and splice a analog female end from a donor cluster on the other side and bada-bing UB3 adapter. At least in theory.

I also saw this smaller 6 pin connection on the back of the cluster, whats this for?

pumCTZI.jpg

Edited by rich_e777

I probably have that series plug but the keyed parts on top might be in different locations, when that happens to me I just grind them off and use the plug, it's not like you're going to accidentally plug it into something else that's 6" away from the IPC where it reaches.

Yes certainly the UB3, I have to check every time I see it. The base digi cluster is nearly identical to this one without power.

I remember the odometer discussion awhile back, didn't you or someone else mention that software is extinct now and cannot be found? And That's why Nas is building up actual miles to match his cluster odometer?

Hey Imp if you have something close that would be awesome. I did find this after several hours of missing time, the white piece in the 2nd and 3rd pic looks like it may fit.https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/32-pin-connector-housing-gray/1j0972977g/

I remember the odometer discussion awhile back, didn't you or someone else mention that software is extinct now and cannot be found? And That's why Nas is building up actual miles to match his cluster odometer?

if any of the software/hardware is still out there that isn't in the hands of a legit electronic shop, I can't find it after hours of looking. I've found some sketchy sources, but I can't really recommend anyone trying that route.

I`m not much worried about carrying over the mileage to the ub3, I can make a note and just do the math when needed or I think I remember the discussion saying you can flash it back to 0 which I`d probably do. But you need that sketchy software right? 

• 3 months later...

Bumping for quick reference.

Finally got both sides of a base digi cluster connector and still have the UB3 I bought years ago. Time to start this. Anything else I need?

I need a separate one of those too? It doesnt go 1.Factory harness into 2. donor internal cluster connector 3. donor pigtail 4. into UB3? With the modified donor male/female combo acting as the adapter?

Donor pigtail into UB3 with the right pins, pigtail spliced into male adapter, male adapter to stock harness.

Analog Olds UB3 cluster preferred so you don't have to Dremel the tabs.

Ok I see, sleep helps sometimes. Any idea if the later models with revised dash got the same connector? IIRC the CS is the only W with this connector. I know the 1st gen GP is different.

I have the same liberated cluster connector from in your 2nd page pics Nate. The base digi is the same as the analog 94 cluster as far as that connector is concerned. I need to find some of those clips you soldered on the backend though and draw up a diagram from the info and I`ll get to work.

Q1700PJ.jpg

That will work! Those clips are from inside of a connector the end that is under the dash. They fit over the the ends of the piece you have in your hand, and I soldered them in place. That method has held up well almost 6 years later. It still works. 

• 9 months later...

Hey Nate, by any chance do you still have an old diagram pic of the pinouts for the UB3? I forgot to save them. All the info is here but I'm a visual sort of guy and just trying to save some time. If not thats ok, i can draw some up and post them.