Digi UB3 adapter

94 olds vert

Can I run the existing stock 1994 CS analog wire C15 (pink) to C1 connection 1990 C1 (pnk/blk) on the new connector? Both are pink, listed as 1994 INDICATOR FUSE CIRCUIT, HOT, BULB TEST. Ken listed this as "pending" in his pre3vious post. Also do I need to jumper this wire to 1990 connector position C16? Or use existing C13 Ignition 12+ to indicators?

YES, I'm pre-wired for the HUD. but,

Nate, there is a connection, D1 : Check gages to HUD - Brown, do I ignore that one on the 1994 connector swap?

Also, there is a connection, C2 : Tach input from DIS - White, I'm unclear about this one too as I believe the tach is activated by a different wire somewhere...

I actually ordered some flag labels for the existing cluster wires in our 1994 that will be swapped into the 1990 connector soon.

Thank You NATE! I'm getting excited about this upgrade, and I don't want to fry anything. I know it's been done before and the Digi is working in several Cutlass Supremes out there right now :thumbsup:

Tach is a different wire. I thought I could piggy back from the DIS for tach, but I found out it can't be done. Must be run to the ALDL.

The check guage wire you will probably have to run to HUD if you want to work. If you don't then it's something that isn't needed.

Yeah this had been done before and probably will be done in the future. This has been one of my favorite upgrades I did to my CS.

yeah, DIS gets it's RPM signal via ALDL comms. VSS is from the normal 4K PPM circuit that goes to the cluster/DIS/cruise module/HUD/etc.

What's a ALDL?

What's VSS?

I wanted to just swap the pins/contacts to the 1990 connector, then plug it in an see what works. Then I thought I might fry something, so I better kep asking questions. I know the clusted lit up when I tested it, and I used the 2 pink wires & 2 grounds. I guess I'll just pray what I've got written down so far is right...

• 7 months later...
actually, you're limited to 255MPH, but it's not like you could see that unless you drove off a cliff.

J.A.T.O. boosters they use on C-130`s might get you close:thumbsup: Better than Nitrous Oxide in my opinion. Power to weight ratio would be better than a F-15C Eagle.

I lucked up on a digital dash from a 92 CS, i should have paid more attention to what the UB3 actually looked like,i wont drive a car without a tach. I would be interested in purchasing an adapter for the ub3 cluster if one of you guys has found a way to make them as close to plug and play as possible. So when i do come across one the install will be as painless as possible. Ive got enough work to do on this thing as it is.

Edited by rich_e777

I can make them to be pretty darn close to being plug and play. There are a couple of wires that you will need to splice into even with an adapter.

Stuff, like the dimmer wire, tach wire to ALDL and the wire for memory all need to be spliced in. Whoever makes the adapter should leave some wires exposed so someone installing it into a car has leads they can tie into.

I can make them to be pretty darn close to being plug and play. There are a couple of wires that you will need to splice into even with an adapter.

Stuff, like the dimmer wire, tach wire to ALDL and the wire for memory all need to be spliced in. Whoever makes the adapter should leave some wires exposed so someone installing it into a car has leads they can tie into.

Nice, if or when i come to the point to do the mod i might buy one off of you, but it might be awhile. Got to get my hands on the right HUD unit and DIC. Now would it have to be a UB3 from a 1st gen OBD1 or does that matter? and do you know where i can find a list of ub3 equipped cars? search is useless.

88-92 Cutlass supremes will have the UB3. They are all in OBDI cars. No other Ws had the Cutlass digi UB3 it's specific to those only. Don't get them confused with the base digital cluster those suck and no one wants them.

The tach is different on UB3 cars that had a factory HUD in that it doesn't display the speed in big numbers on the cluster.

I don't have any of these made up. I only have two. The prototype and the one I have in my car. I don't think you way the prototype. Lol

The tach is different on UB3 cars that had a factory HUD in that it doesn't display the speed in big numbers on the cluster.

so it will only display speed as the semi-circle display? kind of odd... i wonder if there's a missing component on the board that could be added in to re-enable the function?

hmm.... wonder if it's like the CS vs GP HUD situation.... solder in a single wire to enable the missing display.

anybody want to temporarily give up a cluster for me to investigate? if i get real lucky, one full-featured and one "HUD equipped" cluster?

hmm.... wonder if it's like the CS vs GP HUD situation.... solder in a single wire to enable the missing display.

anybody want to temporarily give up a cluster for me to investigate? if i get real lucky, one full-featured and one "HUD equipped" cluster?

Iirc on an old thread there was someone that did this. It will light up just like the digi ub3 without hud with something soldered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only come across two UB3 that had a HUD. I like not having the numbers displayed since that is "correct". On the other hand it would be really cool to have working. At that point I could just get a non HUD UB3 and put it in.

Do I have the video posted of the bench test, or the trail run in my car? If I do you could check to see if those numbers light up when the cluster gauges do their sweep. I would check but I am on my phone.

Iirc on an old thread there was someone that did this. It will light up just like the digi ub3 without hud with something soldered.

I believe Gnatgosplat was able to make his work.

sounds like something Shawn would have done.

anyways, you could probably easily go so far as to modify the circuit slightly so that when the HUD is on, the display is off, turn the HUD off and the display comes on. that's probably what i would do in this situation.

That would be sweet if it could be done. Myself I don't know enough about code to attempt to program anything anymore. I haven't touched any programming language in 12-13 years. Forgotten everything I did know.

Don't get them confused with the base digital cluster those suck and no one wants them.

To late, only gave $5 for it, it does suck and i dont even want it. Could work on a off road project a guy i know is working on. I dont forsee me coming across a UB3 anytime soon in the yard, still looking for a coupe or vert for parts. But when i do i`m going to grab it.:thumbsup:

Would a Digi UB3 be a plug & play situation for a '92 Cutty w/ a analog UB3?

No it's not plug and play.

If you look through the threads you will find lots of them about this.

IIRC the digi ub3 doesn't work on 92 or 93. But read through the threads.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Where did all the pics and videos of people doing Lumina Z34 conversions to UB3 go?...all I seem to find is broken links all over the site. Also, does anyone still have the adapters? Thanks,

Tom