Swapped the steering wheel

zipper

A couple of days ago I went to the local pick and pull and bought a steering wheel for $10. Here's the before, during, and after pics.

Before:

100_5726.jpg

100_5727.jpg

100_5728.jpg

100_5729.jpg

During:

100_5730.jpg

100_5731.jpg

100_5732.jpg

After:

100_5734.jpg

100_5735.jpg

100_5736.jpg

100_5737.jpg

I do like that. But the lacking of an air bag is a bit scary. You probably don't DD this car. So it's probably not that big of a deal.

Thank you! I do only drive the Monte on weekends, so it's not a big deal to me not to have an airbag. I never really liked the idea of getting punched in the face by a bag while having the car get hit anyways :D

woww man the inside of your Monte looks freakin awesome, the steering wheels came like that stock? and what about the cluster?

Thank you. The original steering wheel came with the radio control buttons, but as you can see the steering wheel that I just installed does not have those. The digital speedometer actually came out of a 96-99 Lumina police car or taxi with an LQ1 in it.

Was there a reason to the swap, or did you just like that style better?

There were actually two reasons why I did the swap. The first one is that I LOVE the new looks better, and the second reason is because I could feel that this wheel is slightly lighter. Every pound counts :D

Thank you. The original steering wheel came with the radio control buttons, but as you can see the steering wheel that I just installed does not have those. The digital speedometer actually came out of a 96-99 Lumina police car or taxi with an LQ1 in it.

wow i never knew that lol..awesome

I wanted to do a steering wheel swap in my Land Rover with an older (non-airbag) style that they had in the UK for a couple of reasons:

I liked the way they looked (less chunky), and I was always afraid of blowing out the bags off road.

Someone brought up the point that essentially doing an airbag delete would give my insurance company a cop out if I was ever injured in a crash, and they found I had removed the airbags.

I don't know if that's really the case or not, but I hope not for your sake.

I like that look better anyway. :thumbsup:

Someone brought up the point that essentially doing an airbag delete would give my insurance company a cop out if I was ever injured in a crash, and they found I had removed the airbags.

I don't know if that's really the case or not, but I hope not for your sake.

Yeah I hate to say it too, but you're probably right. Insurance companies exist to NOT pay out whenever they can find an excuse not to.

Insurance companies exist to NOT pay out whenever they can find an excuse not to.

Hell if that's not the damn truth! I guess the simple answer would be to not crash, but sometimes, it just not that easy :lol:

I did just have an idea though. 99+ Blazers have a smaller airbag module.

p118093_large+1999_Chevrolet_Blazer+Interior_View.jpg

Perhaps if Zipper were worried about running into trouble with his insurance, he could swap one of these in. I am unsure if it would work, but it might be worth taking a look at!

Yeah I hate to say it too, but you're probably right. Insurance companies exist to NOT pay out whenever they can find an excuse not to.

I was told if you removed the airbag on your car and got in a crash, if they found out it could be grounds for an instant drop. Not sure if true.

is rather not have an air bag, BUT if i got in a wreck here is what i would do. take air bag and plug it into a battery useing an extention cord + and -. Then it will go boom (very cool to see) the throw it into the car.. befor adjuster comes there..

Wow, I didn't realize that this would cause so much discussion over the airbag, lol. I'm not completely concerned that the insurance company would not cover my Monte in an accident. I know that there's always the possibility of it, but if I were concerned with something happening to my Monte, I would have just left it stock. The way I figure it is if it happens, it happens. If not, I'm just going to enjoy the Monte and continue with the modifications.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback though. It's been an interesting discussion :D

Well I don't know that it's so much about the insurance company covering your car as it is about them covering medical expenses or other things that are quite costly.