Lifter noise in 3.1

Bizzo

Ok this is the second 3.1 v6 i have owned that has had this problem. When I start my car when it is cold I can here the lifters knocking and then it quiets down when it warms up. Then engine has 148k. My '95 Corsica with the 3100 did the same thing...actually it was worse. I know it isn't really hurting the engine mechanically and i've heard other 3.1 ones do the same thing but my question is what causes this...and is there a way to fix it. Oh yeah my cousin 90 lumina with the 3.1 has 220k and it doesn't make a single noise and routine maintenance on it is a rarity :evil:

yeah well it does.... and it sounds identical to a 3100...i just wish there was a way to quiet it down....any suggestions?

To totally kill the knock, rebuild. Unfortunatly that's how it goes.

It'll only get worse through time and overall wear.

To limit the noise, try some thicker weight oil in conjuction with a old engine oil-additive.

- Erik

the 3.4 dohc also does it. its becuz overnight or whatnot, the oil drains all back down to the pan. when you come out and start it, the oil pump has to get oil pumped back up to the top of the motor, which takes a couple seconds. that is why they click when first started. most cars will do it, some worse than others.

all 3100 do this. I bet brand new grand ams with the 3400 do this

You bet your ass they do! My GA is the loudest out of all I've owned, almost to the point of being embarassing.

Aaron

you should hear my brakes, they squeak and squeal when your not pushing on them and then they do it 20 times worse than that when you do, supreme_style21 can vouch for that! its horrible, i cant wait to get new brakes..

My 3.1 does this a little bit and only after a cold-start. It goes away after about 30 seconds of idling. My parents Lumina does it a lot worse. Their 3100 does is at idle no matter what the motor temp is. It has always bugged my dad, but I tell him they all do it.

Guess thats kinda reliving in a way then. I had a friend with a 97 Monte with the 3100 and his did it as well. And my G/f's Ciera with a 3100 does it too...wow...guess I should have opened my eyes :shock:

Definitely glad to hear it's not rare. I tried Valve Medic by GUNK before and that cleared it up for a few weeks. So some of you might want to give it a shot if it annoys you as bas as it does me.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm well aware most of the motors mentioned do this, but if it's from dry start-up, will Slick 50 help? Has anyone used this and found a difference? There is a package deal going on at a store here. 4 quarts of oil and a bottle of Slick 50 for $16. Never gave it much thought before, but for that price.........

my 3.1 knocks so loud you can hear it in the house with all the doors and windows closed! seems to get better after 5 mins, but never fully goes away... I guess that's what i get from driving the crap out of the car every day for a year!

slick 50 and prolong are meant to bind to the metal so that they are lubricated at start up. The sound will still be there, but on a new engine they will not wear as badly so by theory the sound will not appear. It will also help to not make it worse. I used prolong at every oil change and swear by the stuff. I bought my old 2.8 cutty with 170K on it. I beat on it for 40K before my friend borrowed it and fucked it up. It had lower end noise pretty bad when I first bought it and it didn't get worse. It was so bad that I ran 20W50 to keep the oil pressure out of the red when warmed up at idle, and even then it was just barely enough. I LOVE PROLONG.

again, its not piston slap in a 3100 unless is stays for a considerable ammount of time.

Our 3.1 Lumina (91) did it slightly too. IIRC, the rockers were replaced once, and as i mentioned in a thread right above this, it comes back.

If on your 3.1 it is lasting for a considerable ammount of time, then get it checked. But if its rockers, the most you can do is rebuild, if you need to.

IT is annyoying though. Some people that hear the car early always ask whats wrong. Then I pull out all the technical stuff (well, just say its rockers) and of course the idjiots dont know what they are!

IT is annyoying though. Some people that hear the car early always ask whats wrong. Then I pull out all the technical stuff (well, just say its rockers) and of course the idjiots dont know what they are!

I swear by the "don't waste your breath" rule. If the person doesn't look the slightest bit intelligent, then don't bother. I agree, it's embarrassing. My Cutlass ticks LOUD, but it goes away. I've put 50,000 hell-beaten miles on it, and it's been one of the most reliable cars I've had. One of my co-workers has a 2000 Malibu w/ the 3100, only 30,000 miles on it, and you can hear the tick developing. It's not loud yet, but it's there. I noticed it the very first day I heard the car run. No big deal.

haha...actually... i never payed any attention to it till my mom said something. Hell...my Old cierea woke the dead (4 tech).

But...my mom said something, and was like "I know what that noise is", and reminded me that our 91 3.1 did the same (since she had thsi problem, she rememberd the sound).

Hell...the only people that hear it are the GF, and parrents. It was jsut those rare times at work, when it was really cold, and some stupid kid was wondering.

But seriously yall...if it goes away...then its the rockers. If it doesnt, then it is most likely piston slap..

jon