Need help with a leak issue...

kwik-6

I've had a leak free 94 vert for the 2 years I have owned it. It has a Stayfast top installed 2 years ago, great weatherstrips with no breaks or gaps... and it's been great.

After the last 2 rains, the area on the floor area behind the driver's seat (passenger floor pan depression) has "standing" water. It is only in the depression area of the pan with no "trail" leading to it, nothing on the rear seat, nothing on the speaker panel, no traces running down the window. The trunk is completely dry. It is completely confusing and I can't identify a path that it could take to get there. Anyone have a similar experience?

After a rain take out your rear seats. One 15 or 16mm bolt in the center under the front facing cushion. Look for standing water on the floor pan.

Like Matt said it is probably getting in from the quarter window along the weather stripping.

Ok...did the hose thing...no leaks on weatherstrips. So I took off the trim on the rear where the 3rd brake light is located. This exposes the area where the top is stapled down and run-off is supposed to go into the channel that surrounds the trunk. The factory uses a double sides sticky tape-like substance under the top and bridging some body area shell. It's kinda like the stuff you use under your first few rows of roofing shingles to keep water from getting under them

Anyway, the guy who installed the new top didnt use this and the old stuff was broken and missing,,, you could see gaps where water could back up into the body shell and run into the floorpans. Because the factory sandwiched the sticky tape under the top when installed, I could not duplicate this. I used some black silicone to cover the gaps and I'm hoping it seals up. It looked much better

I'll find out soon enough as I parked at the airport leaving for a trip...knowing it was supposed to rain..and while I was waiting for the plane, we got one hell of a downpour. I'll find out if it worked when I return on Thursday. If not, I'll need a bucket to bail it out.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know the outcome.

Not trying to high jack here, but Matt mentioned the rear window not meeting the rear vertical weatherstrip. I have this same issue. Is there an adjustment to move the glass in or does the weather strip need to be replaced?

Sealing the back with black silicone (area under the 3rd brakelight trim) that I described earlier did the trick. The lesson learned is that when getting the top replaced, you should insist that the installer replace the double-sided sticky membrane between the new top and the body. Once he staples it down, it can't be done later.....Don't rely on the dried up, cracked original to do the job. It should be in good shape for the drive to Florida next month !