Window motor info needed

John M

I am confused but am not the only one! Check out the link....

I am working on the right rear window motor on a convertible. I

swapped the switch, didn't work, put 12 volts straight to motor, didn't

work. So I am not willing to 'drill' ahead on this until I have a

motor for replacement. Found here on site that 22155409 GM # for

right side, 22155408 # for left. In searching for replacement I get

deferent placements for the 09 part and different pictures too ex:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1995/oldsmobile/cutlass_supreme/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/window_motor.html

First motor is right side??? not a left. Have seen this confusion other places too...

Some help on clearing this up would be great!!

None of those are for a vert, the rear ones listed are for 4-doors.

AFAIK, the window motors for the rear on the verts are available anymore.

Im sure Crazy K or ManicMechanic will pop in here with definative info on it,.

Window Motors/Regulators

door motors/regulators are side specific. They will interchange will all Gen 1 coupes.

rear quarter glass motor is a generic window motor used on all Gen 1 W-bodies and many other vehicles, insofar as I am aware.

rear quarter glass regulator they are side specific and only on CS convertibles.

1988 unknown

1990 unknown

1991-1995 interchange

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/26612-Convertible-Interchange-Information?p=388016&viewfull=1#post388016

So what are my options? I have yet to find a jy car. The motors look similar. Have motor fixed? where?

I did notice when pressing the button for window there is a clicking under dash:think:

Had a similiar issue with BOTH rear windows in my '95 convertible when I first bought it.

If you pop out the rear window switches, you can BARELY see the window motors. The solution for both of mine was to have someone in the driver's seat tap the window switch, to try to drop the windows, while I took a screwdriver and rubber mallet, and GENTLY tapped the motors. Both have been working perfectly for over two years since.

The clicking you hear under the dash is the "auto-down" relay clicking.

Stupid Cutlass Convertible trick: If you press BOTH rear window switches down for 2-3 seconds, all 4 windows will lower.

I am confused but am not the only one! Check out the link....

I am working on the right rear window motor on a convertible. I

swapped the switch, didn't work, put 12 volts straight to motor, didn't

work. So I am not willing to 'drill' ahead on this until I have a

motor for replacement. Found here on site that 22155409 GM # for

right side, 22155408 # for left. In searching for replacement I get

deferent placements for the 09 part and different pictures too ex:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1995/oldsmobile/cutlass_supreme/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/window_motor.html

First motor is right side??? not a left. Have seen this confusion other places too...

Some help on clearing this up would be great!!

Edited by Galaxie500XL

I need the drivers rear window motor...I think... Are they available somewhere? Any help would be appreciated, I don't even know how to replace it, maybe I should have my mechanic do it!

Thanks

ED

Thanks for the clarification Jay:thumbsup:

I have to occasionally knock my rear motors with a hammer to get them working again. Moisture seems to like to rust up the brushes or whatnot after some heavy rain and if I dont use them for several days afterwards.

And the all auto down kicks ass!

The old beat the starter witha hammer ploy. Great I will give this a try. My top installer wants the window out of the way. Hopefully by end of next week the top will be on and I will post some veiwable pics.:dance:

Remember...GENTLY... :)

A socket extension would probably be a better choice than a screwdriver. I suspect it's corrosion at the brushes, the rear motors haven't probably been used for a very long time. The "bump" makes the brushes and motor move slightly, findina a better connection. Cleans itself once it starts moving. Went through this same thing also with my first convertible, A LeBaron...found the best way to keep it from coming back is every few weeks (once the motors work) run the windows up and down (especially in winter, when there's seldom a need to roll down any window).

The old beat the starter witha hammer ploy. Great I will give this a try. My top installer wants the window out of the way. Hopefully by end of next week the top will be on and I will post some veiwable pics.:dance:

John;

Not to highjack your thread, but take pics of the top install, please? I'm likely going to need to replace the top on my '95 soon, and NC isn't that far away from Knoxville.

Thanks!

I am going to try the tapping in a few. I am not doing the install myself. A pro is doing it although he probably has not done a Cutty. I will take what I can because I will be replacing the sweepers on the rear quarters.

Good luck...most important, have a helper tapping the down switch...don't hold the switch, just tap on the switch while tapping on the motor...took about 5 minutes to get it just right on mine, but I've never had to do it again, and I've had my car a little over 2 years.

I am going to try the tapping in a few. I am not doing the install myself. A pro is doing it although he probably has not done a Cutty. I will take what I can because I will be replacing the sweepers on the rear quarters.

Glad to help.. WAY better than replacing the window motors. :)

..it's always mildly surprising when they move for the first time...not sure why, but it sure feels good when you see it.

Make a habit of "exercising" the windows a good bit the next few days, then make sure to not let them sit for months without moving, and you'll likely have no further problem.

WOW ,thank you thank you!

A little tapping with a pry bar while pressing the switch. FIXed!

Edited by Galaxie500XL

Actually, that's exactly what I meant. I'll be looking for a shop to do my top, I'd rather not do that myself. A bad top job is misery, so I'd rather pay (and drive) a bit to make sure it's done right.

Glad to see this is working.

The motor are left and right had oriented(not referring to the side of the car installed, but the direction of the body to the gear on the motor) and appear to be the same as used in all the other gen 1 w-body cars if separated from the regulator. I think a simple fix would be to dismantle the motor and lubricate the brushes, then create a weather barrier by wrapped the motor to shield it from water coming at it from above.

I will have to do some more work to look at this issue and provide better solutions or a guide...

I'd be interested in your results....

I've had two convertibles, the LeBaron, and my Cutlass. Both have had the same issue at one time or another...the problem with most of the solutions I've tried is the window motors are in a fairly wet area. I tried keeping the water out with silicone grease on the LeBaron, but over time the grease just collected a ton of dirt, and dried out, leaving me back at square one. I considered fabricating some sort of rainshield, to keep the water from even touching the pump, but found it difficult with the space available to make something.

Glad to see this is working.

The motor are left and right had oriented(not referring to the side of the car installed, but the direction of the body to the gear on the motor) and appear to be the same as used in all the other gen 1 w-body cars if separated from the regulator. I think a simple fix would be to dismantle the motor and lubricate the brushes, then create a weather barrier by wrapped the motor to shield it from water coming at it from above.

I will have to do some more work to look at this issue and provide better solutions or a guide...