Vert top boot issue

MemphisMan

I'm wondering if everyone else's boot looks like this. That thing sticking out is the end of the metal bar that runs along the back of the boot. It's the same on the left side too and it looks like it could tear the boot, which concerns me. I'm wondering if the ends of the bar go on the inside of the pieces of plastic that make up the sides of the boot and they just put it together wrong at the factory. Thoughts? Thanks.

post-5307-143689077433_thumb.jpg

post-5307-14368907742_thumb.jpg

Well, I actually took my boot off and looked at it more closely. Seems that the bar can't go behind the big plastic pieces, but this just doesn't look right.

I'm confused, but what else is new!

• 1 month later...

The instructions are on the bag for the boot.

The bar on the back of the boot should go under the 3rd brake light trim peice. The corners of the boot is what is the hard part to get to seat properly and look good. The sides don't really like to go under the plastic trim.

It can be put on right usually takes a lot of fighting it. Then it doesn't stay put once you get driving it.

Best bet is to leave it out in the sun for a while so the leather can stretch out.

If you don't have a bag for your boot. I posted pictures of the instructions. I tried to search for them and I can't find the pictures. If you need them I could re post them.

The boot is the one thing about my Cutlass convertible I've always been disappointed about. On my old LeBaron, I generally used the boot...it looked good in place, and took less than a minute to install, or stow. On the Cutlass, it just plain looks bad, particularly considering how much time/effort is required to install the thing. Mine stays home--I've had it on the car maybe 5 times in two years.

Well, I actually took my boot off and looked at it more closely. Seems that the bar can't go behind the big plastic pieces, but this just doesn't look right.

I'm confused, but what else is new!

If you look at photos of these cars from when they were new you can tell the boot never sat 100% right. I don't use mine. I've used it three times when I used it in the local parade every year.

I wonder how much it would cost at a upholstery to modify the boot so it fits right? I found Milos Upholstery in Miami,FL sells replacement boots that seem to be of good quality. I don't really like the way they attach as they are held in the back by straps that go under the trunklid. They retail for $250 and can be found on Ebay, search 1995 Cutlass Convertible. I'd really like to use my boot more often, but I cannot make it fit worth a darn. It seems as though you could somehow stich in anextra inch or two of material and it would fit right, but my sides will not stay in for anything!!! How about a group by on replacement boots or find a source that will modify at a good rate?