2006 Grand Prix EVAP codes, current P0442 & past P0455, where to start....

98LuminaLTZ

Scanned Fiancees car and read a current P0442 and past stored P0455, both come back as leaks in EVAP system.

First off I have changed gas cap since its ratchet/clicks when you screw it on had gotten weak and not as tight as it used to be, well the codes still continue with brand new GM gas cap.

Now I know it could be a leak elsewhere in the EVAP system, but I have never messed with fuel system before I don't even know where to begin looking.

Any advice from the guys with more experience than I?

You did get an OEM GM gas cap right? The aftermarket caps suck... I won't use ANYTHING except OEM at work because of issues. After that I'd be looking at the purge solenoid, they're cheap and are quite common on GM cars. Easy to swap out too. GM Evap systems are some of the most basic out there and there's not much to go wrong.

Is the sealing surface on the filler neck clean? No rust buildup etc.

I'll check around for a good price on a new purge solenoid, cap threads are clear of dirt and debris, and new cap was brand new GM, so I doubt those are the problem (though her DIC has been saying "check gas cap", we know its not the cap or threads itself).

Yea the DIC will show the gas cap message any time there's a leak in the EVAP system. GM's have one of the most basic EVAP systems out there, it's usually either the cap, the purge solenoid, or a bad hose connection between the engine and tank. Fairly simple.

Btw, the purge solenoid should be available at any parts store.

Yea the DIC will show the gas cap message any time there's a leak in the EVAP system. GM's have one of the most basic EVAP systems out there, it's usually either the cap, the purge solenoid, or a bad hose connection between the engine and tank. Fairly simple.

Btw, the purge solenoid should be available at any parts store.

I had this problem with the Monte when I bought it.. It's the purge solenoid, and is an extremely common issue on the third gens.. IIRC, when I got mine a couple years ago, it was only available from the dealer for like $40...