New Paint Color Ideas?

Rick

Well when I bought my 95 Cutlass Vert it had hail damage and the insurance payed to have half the car re-shot but not the other. So the previous owner reshot the other half on his own. Its a half assed job and now orange peel is starting to occur, and on the drivers door primer is starting to be seen. So now im in the delimma, go a cheap paint job, or an expensive and which color would look best in your opinion?

Also, would doing some of the prep work decrease any of the costs?

Thanks, also let me know of any nation known body shops that are quality.

Heres a picture of my car...

post-6351-143689073397_thumb.jpg

I would say go with a more expensive paint job, a cheap one will just leave you with problems down the road. Lots of colours would look great in my opinion, including white, black, red, and so on, but a colour change will be much more expensive to do properly since the jambs and engine bay would have to be prepped and painted too.

Yeah, if someone else is doing it, I'd stick with the original color only because it'd probably cost a lot more to paint a different color. If you were doing it yourself it might be different. Plus there will probably always be spots that couldn't be repainted perfectly a different color and it might bother you, I don't know.

To have a reputable shop recolor a car typically runs between 7-10k and at least a month. They will blow the car apart and repaint everything. You will not see a trace of the original color (except possibly if you take the carpet up/under the car/places that you won't see EVER.

To have a reputable shop recolor a car typically runs between 7-10k and at least a month. They will blow the car apart and repaint everything. You will not see a trace of the original color (except possibly if you take the carpet up/under the car/places that you won't see EVER.

If you strip and prep the car yourself, and have it flatbedded to the body shop for paint, how much money can you save?

And then it comes to the point where do you draw that line between a repaint and restoration? Since the car would be completely apart you might think of replacing things like weatherstripping or something, but where do you draw the line on what to or not to replace? It could get quite expensive.

If you strip and prep the car yourself, and have it flatbedded to the body shop for paint, how much money can you save?

Would shops let you do that though? I would think they wouldn't want to be responsible for a bad prep job. What if you prepped it like shit and they painted it and the paint didn't look good. They weren't responsible but you'd be pissed at them. I don't know if they'd do that.

I prepped a bumper for paint and then took it to a shop for painting. They just ended up sanding it down more anyway. I would let them to do prep work. That way you know it will turn out good. Then if there is a problem they will be responsible for it.

Maybe leave the sanding to them, but I must imagine you would save tons on labor by taking the headlights/tail lights out, taping and masking off the glass, etc before bringing it down.

Most shops any decent shop would rather you not prep it, for money and simply because if it doesnt turn out then they'll blame you and vice versa. As far as cost it really depends on if you plan on keeping it. An $8k paint job would be great if you kept it, but reselling it wont net you anything good unless you find someone who want that particular car. My car cost $2k to paint, it was painted 2 years ago, looks good but do I expect it to last nah the car absolutely needed it (the paint would run every time it rained, there was no clear). I plan on having it repainted like restored in about 5 years. I vote a darker shade of purple. Plum?

I would go with the same color. Will be alot cheaper and its a good color anyway. I got the roof, rear end and rear fenders painted on the TGP last year. The front end had been repainted previously and the shop did a great job matching it up. Cost me $1800, would have been $3000 to do the whole car. I would never pay more then $2k to have a w-body repainted, but that just me.

Wow... I guess I should be thankful my dad can do it. It'd cost about $500-600 to paint the entire car black....and I've been wishing I would do it for years. Still that much money I don't have though.

Wow... I guess I should be thankful my dad can do it. It'd cost about $500-600 to paint the entire car black....and I've been wishing I would do it for years. Still that much money I don't have though.

Maybe your dad will have some time in the spring to do a GTP...

There was a similar colour offered on the 1994 Cutlass coupe and sedan...Only like 400 made though.

1G3WH15M9RD354853-2.jpg

1G3WH15M9RD354853-1.jpg

6e5c_1.jpg

dimages_C_C236391N1.jpg

NewImage20.jpg

1G3WT35M1RD374265-2.jpg

Edited by ManicMechanic

There was a similar colour offered on the 1994 Cutlass coupe and sedan...Only like 400 made though.

1G3WH15M9RD354853-2.jpg

I'm thinking there was a reason for that.....:extrapuke:

itgopurple.jpg

not a photochop. It was actually offered, Dark Mulberry Metallic is what it was called if I'm not mistaken...

I don't normally pay alot of attention to 1.5 gen lumis, but I don't think I've ever seen one that color.

I don't normally pay alot of attention to 1.5 gen lumis, but I don't think I've ever seen one that color.

Yeah you don't see those too often. Once in a while I do. I did see a couple in the junkyard this weekend. I always say white would have been my last choice if I got to pick the color, then I remember the purple...:extrapuke:

(And that guy is wrong in his description...that's not an LS.)

Love that color. I have never seen that color on a 'vert before. How many 'verts made in that color?

Zero from the factory.

GM factory dark cherry metallic. /thread

I've always wondered what it would be like to take a triple white vert and shoot it with caddy pearl white though...

Otherwise keep it green. Green on tan is a great combo and it's an underrated color.

Yeah you don't see those too often. Once in a while I do. I did see a couple in the junkyard this weekend. I always say white would have been my last choice if I got to pick the color, then I remember the purple...:extrapuke:

(And that guy is wrong in his description...that's not an LS.)

The Purple'd have been my first choice personally, followed by the brightest red, followed by green, then blue, then gray. I love purple though. My nickname at school is "Purple" because I constantly wear a purple zip up hoodie... and have other purple items in my wardrobe I wear on occasion.

Anyways, I vote for the purple. A purple convertible? Come on! Can't beat that. It's a gender neutral color, and from what I've seen (and yes I've seen it) girls like guys with purple cars. Shows they're comfortable with their sexuality.

itgopurple.jpg

not a photochop. It was actually offered, Dark Mulberry Metallic is what it was called if I'm not mistaken...

Cant stand that color, probably because its the color of my girlfriends cavalier and I think its the ugliest color ever, lol. Although, after I cleaned it her car looked much cleaner...but I could personally never drive around in a purple car.

Love candy apple red, but that would not be cheap what-so-ever...my dads vette is candy apple red and having the hood painted to match the car was over 1,000 to my understanding.

Love that deep red though on that third picture too, quite an interesting color.

After the market being so volatile my earnings are not so high anymore so looks like I will be waiting a while on this, I had planned on pulling some of my earnings out for this but Nvidia has been slammed lately...bad. Ehh.

Edited by Rick