Rotor/Pad Recommendations?

urbex

And somehow the front rotors will cost $28 to ship when it cost $12 for 2 rotors, brake pads, and an air filter the first time...?:think:

Looks like Auto Zone Valuecraft it is....:roll:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• urbex

• RobertISaar

• mra32

• xtremerevolution

And somehow the front rotors will cost $28 to ship when it cost $12 for 2 rotors, brake pads, and an air filter the first time...?:think:

Looks like Auto Zone Valuecraft it is....:roll:

front rotors are MUCH heavier than rears. RA always has cheap rears, but shipping kills the idea of buying fronts from them unless they do a clearout.

front rotors are MUCH heavier than rears. RA always has cheap rears, but shipping kills the idea of buying fronts from them unless they do a clearout.

Yeah there's no way I'm buying fronts from them. Just for the 2 rotors it'd be $80, which is what I paid for everything the first time around :roll: At least I got decent pads (ceramics) so I'll just throw those on the Valuecraft and see what happens.

I got decent pads (ceramics) so I'll just throw those on the Valuecraft and see what happens.

If it's the same as what happened to me, you'll be disappointed in the stopping power of the ceramic pads. 'Course, that was years ago, and on a different vehicle.

I'll buy plain ol' semi-metallics any time.

If it's the same as what happened to me, you'll be disappointed in the stopping power of the ceramic pads. 'Course, that was years ago, and on a different vehicle.

I'll buy plain ol' semi-metallics any time.

Depends on the pad. A cheap semi metallic will outperform a cheap ceramic, but a high performance ceramic will outperform a cheap semi metallic. I can still stop on a dime in the Regal with ceramics front and rear. The only reason I use them is because I'm just way too incredibly sick of having to clean the dust off my wheels with semi-metallic pads.

Depends on the pad. A cheap semi metallic will outperform a cheap ceramic, but a high performance ceramic will outperform a cheap semi metallic. I can still stop on a dime in the Regal with ceramics front and rear. The only reason I use them is because I'm just way too incredibly sick of having to clean the dust off my wheels with semi-metallic pads.

Again remember it depends a lot on the driver. Urbex has said several times that he's light on his brakes. If you drive like a normal person day in and day out, I dare you to drive two identical cars back to back and tell me which one has ceramics installed. It really comes down to how annoying the wheels are to clean. For a basic lazily driven DD, stopping power is greatly outweighed by dusting and noise, and that's what most consumers are going to look for.

Again remember it depends a lot on the driver. Urbex has said several times that he's light on his brakes. If you drive like a normal person day in and day out, I dare you to drive two identical cars back to back and tell me which one has ceramics installed. It really comes down to how annoying the wheels are to clean. For a basic lazily driven DD, stopping power is greatly outweighed by dusting and noise, and that's what most consumers are going to look for.

Exactly. I'm not racing the car by any means:lol: I can probably count on one hand how many times I've stomped on the brakes to avoid an accident. The last pads I had were ridiculous for brake dust especially for having hubcaps that you would think would have caught it all. Being a white car where it shows up more, I'm welcoming to the fact that it may stay cleaner! :thumbsup: Plus it's a pain in the ass to clean in the edges of the hubcaps.

If you like to keep a mile between yourself and the car in front of you, great, get as cheap a pad as you can, but if you live anywhere near the city like I do, or in an area were deer can cross the street and leave the front of your car in pieces, you learn to appreciate the braking power.

That extra stopping power makes all the difference. 6 feet means the difference between you plowing into the car in front of you or coming to a full stop before you do. I have never rearended anyone, but I have been rear ended a few times. I attribute that to the braking power of all of my cars. Better their insurance rates go up than yours. $20 extra for a good set of pads once sure as hell beats $20 extra per month on your insurance rates.

There's no argument that in emergency stopping situations, everyone wishes they had better brakes and wishes they had spent the extra few bucks to get something that stopped on a dime. Brake pads are the only part of my car I do not compromise.

if it's a vehicle you're planning on keeping on the road for a while, then yes, expensive brakes can be completely justified.

but if i know a vehicle isn't going to be on the road for another 10,000 miles at most, i'm going with the cheapest route i can outside of junkyard rotors/pads.

I like my Wagner Thermo Quiets, I usually grab the wagner rotor and pad, and shoes if they need them, never had a problem with them. :dunce:

I like my Wagner Thermo Quiets, I usually grab the wagner rotor and pad, and shoes if they need them, never had a problem with them. :dunce:

^This. I spend the money on vehicles that matter/ plan on keeping, such as wifey's car. My cars. on the other hand, best bang for the buck most of the time.

I may need to do a brake job on my Cutlass soon, I saw this thread and have been looking up some rotors. I see these 2 types on Summit. Would these fit and does anyone know if these are good/worth the money?

This one doesn't specify Olds Cutlass as a fit, but google searching the product it says it fits...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BHI-55018-020

Also this..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-GD7071/

I was looking to getting some new rotors on mine soon, I think one is warped. There are some I found "Baer Holdings 55018020" they are slotted and cross drilled. Does anyone think this is worth the money? It is about 180 dollars

Honestly, I'd say no. It seems to me that virtually all rotors are made in the same factory most likely in China. They're all made in China. I had got two different brands, and both were in identical boxes and looked the same, other than the price. Neither had any markings on the rotors themselves to distinguish the two.

Personally, and this is what I did, I'd just get the cheapest for what, $30? Then when they go bad again just get new ones. You won't be out much money. Even if under for some bizarre reason you needed to replace them every year it'd take 6 years for the cost of the cheap ones to be more than the name brand ones.

Very true. I mean I am not really worried about expenses, I mainly want them because they would look cool:) but if they are all made in the same old fine china, then it probably isn't worth it.

Yeah, good luck finding any that aren't made in China. I think they all are. I could be wrong though, but I can guarantee you if they aren't they're expensive!

If you want drilled and slotted just go on ebay. I got front drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads for like 90 bucks shipped, maybe a bit less. Stopped just fine and never had an issue with noise or dusting. And that was with one sticky rear caliper that really didn't do anything at all.

I think I got these ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Front-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-and-4-Pads-Chevy-/220810916507?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Model%3ACutlass+Supreme&hash=item33695b329b

Edited by alec_b

I'm using rotors with lifetime warranties at all four corners. adv auto has them. get them and some pads from AZ with lifetime warranties and bam! lifetime brakes. the only thing you'll ever have to pay for is the hardware kits and maybe the occasional caliper.