JL Cleansweep

chevelle3504speed

I have a '91 GTP Grand Prix with the factory cassette with EQ. I really do not want to replace the cassette with an aftermarket CD player because I think it will ruin the appearance of the dash in the car. I am strongly considering wiring the cassette into the JL Cleansweep CL441dsp and then wiring the cleansweep into a 4 channel aftermarket amp to improve sound quality. Have any of you guys done this before with a cassette player? Were the results favorable?

Thanks,

Andy

I was going to but the tape jammed, so I went aftermarket.

Is there a JL authorized dealer near by? go get one installed and let us know how good it is.

actually I was going to use a different style than the JL one and now it is still sitting brand new in the wire bin, still in the package. I think the JL would be nice to have if your ipod crap ran well with it.

nice, that would be good to know, because I have tried searching for info on that because I have never had a chance to play with a fully functional ipod interface for a factory system, volume controlled line level input control I believe, much less in a grand prix. find out if it charges stuff too as it plays.

Alright, will do. I'm hoping to have time to install the cleansweep and the amp here in the next couple of months. I'll keep you guys posted.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Alright, I finally installed the JL Cleansweep and a 4 channel Hifonics amp. Cassette player sounds phenomenal! Highs are very clear and crisp; much more so than with just the naked head unit. Low end is much improved too. I do not have a sub; just polk 6x9s in the back. I have not run my RCA cables for my ipod yet. I am dealing with a larger problem I created. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever done, and hopefully, that I ever will do. I find the precision of this mistake quite something. I drilled a hole (from the inside of the car) near the bottom of the firewall on the driver's side to run my power cable to the trunk, and I put the drill but right between the 2 fuel lines ( the ones that run from the tank to the engine compartment ) on the engine side. Both of them have holes in them. Moron! However, I was able to find some lines in the salvage yard today off of a '90 2 door Lumina 3.1 that work. I have to put the interior back together and install these fuel lines, and that should be it! I will let you guys know how the ipod works out when I get the RCA cables routed. I can tell you right now the cleansweep will not charge the ipod. It only provides and auxiliary input. I highly recommend this setup. I like the originality of the cassette player.

Alright, I finally installed the JL Cleansweep and a 4 channel Hifonics amp. Cassette player sounds phenomenal! Highs are very clear and crisp; much more so than with just the naked head unit. Low end is much improved too. I do not have a sub; just polk 6x9s in the back. I have not run my RCA cables for my ipod yet. I am dealing with a larger problem I created. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever done, and hopefully, that I ever will do. I find the precision of this mistake quite something. I drilled a hole (from the inside of the car) near the bottom of the firewall on the driver's side to run my power cable to the trunk, and I put the drill but right between the 2 fuel lines ( the ones that run from the tank to the engine compartment ) on the engine side. Both of them have holes in them. Moron! However, I was able to find some lines in the salvage yard today off of a '90 2 door Lumina 3.1 that work. I have to put the interior back together and install these fuel lines, and that should be it! I will let you guys know how the ipod works out when I get the RCA cables routed. I can tell you right now the cleansweep will not charge the ipod. It only provides and auxiliary input. I highly recommend this setup. I like the originality of the cassette player.

Oh man, that sucks to high heaven.

Its about time I got the fuel lines installed and got my interior put back together. Those fuel line were a pain to route! I do have one small problem I have to trace down. I have a high pitched wine that changes with RPM that is feeding back through the speakers from the engine ( ignition system I assume). It exists even when the head unit is off. It's not too terrible, but I don't like it. I checked to make sure that the RCA cables weren't picking up noise. I think it has got to be the cleansweep picking up noise and sending it to the amplifier. If I unplug the RCA cables that run between the cleansweep and the amp at the cleansweep, the wine disappears. Perhaps it's picking up noise from my speaker leads? Not sure. I'll have to investigate further. Any ideas? Minus the wine which is inaudible when music is playing at normal volume, the quality is excellent, especially for a cassette player. Hopefully I'll find the culprit!

Edited by chevelle3504speed

Thanks for the input. I spent some time working on it today and found the culprit; the RCA cables. I tried relocating power and ground wires, but it didn't change the whine (not wine like my previous post says--idiot). I had my RCA cables routed inside the factory plastic sheaths with all the other wires that run along right side of the floor pan and up through the plastic clips in the trunk, to my amp. I pulled the necessary parts of the interior back out and rerouted the RCA cables. It took a few attempts to find the correct route, but I found a successful way to route them and the whine is gone now! I will, however, be reinstalling my FM modulator that I removed during the cleansweep installation. I do not like the auxiliary input on the cleansweep. The aux. input does not run through the head unit, therefore, EQ, volume, fade, etc does not work with aux input. The cleansweep comes with a volume knob they want you to mount somewhere in the dash, which I did not, and use it rather than the volume buttons/knob on your head unit to adjust the volume of your head unit and aux. input. Factory head unit volume adjust works fine as long as it is the input. Once you push the cleansweep volume knob in to change from head unit input to aux. input, you must use the cleansweep volume knob. I may be sacrificing some quality using the FM modulator, but it's worth it to me to maintain the functionality of the head unit controls when using my ipod. I wonder how long my factory speakers will last.