W-body top speeds

TeeJay3800

This is kind of a dumb question and I thought about putting this in the racing section, but I decided not to since I don't have a racing story to tell. I am wondering what the top speeds of W-body's with the 3.1 LH0 is. I've never tried in my car, the only high speeds I've run was an easy cruise at 100 mph in 4th gear. I wasn't pushing it hardly at all. It'd be interesting to know what these cars will do floored and in what gear top speed is reached (3rd or 4th). Anybody have any magazine test reports or done any top speeds test themselves :?:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeeJay3800

• Jeorge

• Robby1870

• Zonsolo

As my sig says, I have a '90 Cutlass Supreme SL Coupe with the 3.1 gen II LH0 V6. Only performace mods are a Flowmaster 40-series (yes, its a real one) and a custom straight pipe. All I want is a magazine test report's top speed for the car or anyone with a similar car that they have tested the top speed with. Thanks.

Guest TurboSedan
As my sig says, I have a '90 Cutlass Supreme SL Coupe with the 3.1 gen II LH0 V6. Only performace mods are a Flowmaster 40-series (yes, its a real one) and a custom straight pipe. All I want is a magazine test report's top speed for the car or anyone with a similar car that they have tested the top speed with. Thanks.

fwiw, my '91 Cutlass Supreme has a stock 3.1 MPFI V6 (an LHO w/213,xxx miles)/Getrag 282 '90 Grand Prix wiring harness & ECM/stock calibration. the speedo is spot on and flooring it in 5th i could get it up to 116mph before the speed limiter stepped in and shut the car off momentarily. i went back down to 114mph, punched it again and had the same results. i think i could top out at around 120-125mph mph with no limiter, but i also think that my car is held back due to my high elevation (7200ft). if i go down to 4500ft my car has WAYYY more power...

joshua

My Lumina is governed to 119 mph... kinda sucks cuz the car is only doin 2100 rpm when the governor kicks in... it got alot more left in it

Ima have to call BS on that. I dont doubt it did 119, but 2100 rpms is total BS. 3.1L does 2000 at 70mph in overdrive, so I know 119 is way higher than that. Ive been 115+but cant remember how many rpm it was turning, but I would guess like 3500 or 4000

My Lumina is governed to 119 mph... kinda sucks cuz the car is only doin 2100 rpm when the governor kicks in... it got alot more left in it

Ima have to call BS on that. I dont doubt it did 119, but 2100 rpms is total BS. 3.1L does 2000 at 70mph in overdrive, so I know 119 is way higher than that. Ive been 115+but cant remember how many rpm it was turning, but I would guess like 3500 or 4000

acctually its not BS

there is a GM Tranny Put in to Some lumina's and Cutlass's that has the Top of 119 and its almost Idleing .....the cars have awsome 1st gears too no problem hitting 40-45+ in First...before it shifts to Second..and well it may be closer to 2500-2700 at 119 but still...not a very fast RPM...for the speed...the cars with that Tranny also get like 40MPG when Driving on the HWY.....

Oh and the Top on my STE is clocked at 142MPH

Guest TurboSedan

acctually its not BS

there is a GM Tranny Put in to Some lumina's and Cutlass's that has the Top of 119 and its almost Idleing .....the cars have awsome 1st gears too no problem hitting 40-45+ in First...before it shifts to Second..and well it may be closer to 2500-2700 at 119 but still...not a very fast RPM...for the speed...the cars with that Tranny also get like 40MPG when Driving on the HWY.....

Oh and the Top on my STE is clocked at 142MPH

i still call BS on that one. so which cars got these trannies?

btw, i raced a Turbo STE and we were completely even slowly accelerating going around 110mph (tops). i passed her and she got pissed for some reason; she even gave me the finger (wierdo biotch). she tried to catch me but couldn't - i just downshifted to 4th and brought the engine up pretty high in RPM's and just barely held her off (this was an I-80 race). i think i was racing a sick TSTE! that thing shoulda smoked me! altho, i have heard that manual/3.1 W-bodies are almost as fast stock as the TGP. now to combine the manual with the TGP engine!

joshua :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, really, whats this magic tranny? The 4T60 has the best chance of achieving the feat. And since I Have one of those, I know its not that one. The Getrag 282 has a 3.61 FDR and .87 O/D so I know its not that one either. The TH125-C is on par with the 4T60, the Getrag 284 is near the same as the Getrag 282, so what other trannies were available, cuz I will not believe 2100 rpms at 119mph

Guest TurboSedan
The Getrag 282 has a 3.61 FDR and .87 O/D

not to nitpick, but i thought the 5th gear OD in a W-body 282 was actually .81:1?

fwiw, if i cruise @ exactly 75mph in 5th, i turn 2700RPM's. i'm sure the 4T60 is lower than that with it's 3.33:1 FDR and .70:1 OD. oh yeah - if you floor a W-body with a 4T60 will it go into OD at all or are you stuck in 3rd @ WOT? cuz that would kinda suck. i know the TH-700R4's (4L60's) i've had in the past would not go into OD at above 3/4 throttle or so. with my CS i can only get to maybe 105mph TOPS in 4th gear (1.03:1). usually i shift to 5th around 95mph or so but then hit my speed limiter @ 116mph.

my next plan is to find a Getrag 282 from a HO Quad 4 or Achieva SCX and slap my extra 60' V6 282 bellhousing on it. i think i'm going to have some serious traction issuses soon if i don't once i get the TGP motor in there. as it is with my n/a 213,xxx mile 3.1, i can roast the tires thru 1st on nice clean pavement. a 3.77:1 1st gear is just a little toooo steep for me :)

joshua

The Getrag 282 has a 3.61 FDR and .87 O/D

not to nitpick, but i thought the 5th gear OD in a W-body 282 was actually .81:1?

I wasnt for sure on the O/D ratio, but I knew it was .8 something. As fas a 4T60 going into O/D at WOT, its been so long since I went over 100mph, I really couldnt tell ya

There is no way you could run 119 at 2100 rpm. Your motor isn't making enough power at such a low RPM to push you along at that high speed. Also, your rpm's at 70 are different than mine. My car's tranny is bone stock and I turn 1900 @ 60 and 2500 @70 in 4th. However, the 119 top speed is about what I was expecting for a 3.1 powered W-body. I've always wondered if my car has a speed limiter. I doubt it since its a '90 and the tranny is hydraulically controlled, not electronically.

fastest i have had mine is 112.... for some reason it seems to depend on weather too, if its hot i hit 108 or soo, but if its cool then i can tag 112 before it cuts...

- Justin

There is no way you could run 119 at 2100 rpm. Your motor isn't making enough power at such a low RPM to push you along at that high speed. Also, your rpm's at 70 are different than mine. My car's tranny is bone stock and I turn 1900 @ 60 and 2500 @70 in 4th. However, the 119 top speed is about what I was expecting for a 3.1 powered W-body. I've always wondered if my car has a speed limiter. I doubt it since its a '90 and the tranny is hydraulically controlled, not electronically.

I think you mean vacuum controlled

there is a GM Tranny Put in to Some lumina's and Cutlass's that has the Top of 119 and its almost Idleing .....the cars have awsome 1st gears too no problem hitting 40-45+ in First...before it shifts to Second..and well it may be closer to 2500-2700 at 119 but still...not a very fast RPM..

i still call BS on that one. so which cars got these trannies?

btw, i raced a Turbo STE and we were completely even slowly accelerating going around 110mph (tops). i passed her and she got pissed for some reason; she even gave me the finger (wierdo biotch). she tried to catch me but couldn't - i just downshifted to 4th and brought the engine up pretty high in RPM's and just barely held her off (this was an I-80 race). i think i was racing a sick TSTE! that thing shoulda smoked me! altho, i have heard that manual/3.1 W-bodies are almost as fast stock as the TGP. now to combine the manual with the TGP engine!

joshua :twisted: :twisted:

Well the Two Cars I seen with this Tranny where bother suppost to be Cop cars bet never where....

and I said Closer to the 3K mark not 2100

one was a 91 cutlass that was ordered in the wrong color for the local PD so my Grandfather ended up with it then I did...

the other was a 92 Dark blue lumina that was for a PD in central MN but they didnt like the FWD and traded it right away for a caprice.

as for a TSTE slowly accelerating at 110 dont know about that being I have only Driven my ste??? Mines not slow at 110 my 60-speedo gone time is about 3 Seconds....

my 0-30 is the only time I have slow acceleration with out tire spin but when the the lag is gone or I get it just right off the stop it Goes like a raped ape..

But then again most TSTE's are Governed at what 128?mine has been clocked a 142mph she may go faster but thats all the faster I tryed for.

and on Dry pavement I can spin the Tires from first to second to 50MPH...from a stop..which only take a few car lenths to get to that speed

Guest TurboSedan

as for a TSTE slowly accelerating at 110 dont know about that being I have only Driven my ste??? Mines not slow at 110 my 60-speedo gone time is about 3 Seconds....

my 0-30 is the only time I have slow acceleration with out tire spin but when the the lag is gone or I get it just right off the stop it Goes like a raped ape..

But then again most TSTE's are Governed at what 128?mine has been clocked a 142mph she may go faster but thats all the faster I tryed for.

and on Dry pavement I can spin the Tires from first to second to 50MPH...from a stop..which only take a few car lenths to get to that speed

how did your car get up to 142mph if it's governed @ 128mph?

as for my race with the TSTE, like i said, i was probably racing a sick car. i was expecting to get passed up real quick but even tho it was obvious she was trying to pass me she could not keep up. however, i sure wasn't gaining anything on her either. also just to throw in an excuse, i still had my 210,xxx mile stock cat in the car at the time and i think that was hampering me a little. i now have a test pipe :) had i hit 116mph my car would have shut down anyway. from a dead stop i would expect any TGP to beat me with my n/a 3.1/5-speed. i would have to lauch really good and i can usually just punch it up to 30mph before i shift to 2nd. then it would be over for me. IOW, my steep 1st gear *might* make up for no boost. i can get off the line pretty darn quick. by 40mph+ the fun is all over tho. altho, downshifting to 4th @ 75 and accelerating to 100mph is EASY, but 5th gear is pretty lacking :?

btw, Jeorge - i like your quote here from another this thread you started a while back:

"but I must say Car and Driver was Right when they said a 3.1 5 spd is almost as fast as a Turbo 3.1 auto..."

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=783&highlight=car+automobile+driver started by you a long time ago

sorry man i couldn't help myself from throwing that in :lol:

joshua

U want me to take a picture next time?? Who knows what transmission is really in my car because its one of those Dr. Nick Jobs so who really knows. Also the car had just shifted into overdrive at about 115 mph... Hell at WOT the car only shifts into second at 35

how did your car get up to 142mph if it's governed @ 128mph?

as for my race with the TSTE, like i said, i was probably racing a sick car. i was expecting to get passed up real quick but even tho it was obvious she was trying to pass me she could not keep up. however, i sure wasn't gaining anything on her either. also just to throw in an excuse, i still had my 210,xxx mile stock cat in the car at the time and i think that was hampering me a little. i now have a test pipe :) had i hit 116mph my car would have shut down anyway. from a dead stop i would expect any TGP to beat me with my n/a 3.1/5-speed. i would have to lauch really good and i can usually just punch it up to 30mph before i shift to 2nd. then it would be over for me. IOW, my steep 1st gear *might* make up for no boost. i can get off the line pretty darn quick. by 40mph+ the fun is all over tho. altho, downshifting to 4th @ 75 and accelerating to 100mph is EASY, but 5th gear is pretty lacking :?

btw, Jeorge - i like your quote here from another this thread you started a while back:

"but I must say Car and Driver was Right when they said a 3.1 5 spd is almost as fast as a Turbo 3.1 auto..."

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=783&highlight=car+automobile+driver started by you a long time ago

sorry man i couldn't help myself from throwing that in :lol:

joshua

Yes the 5spd 3.1 is "almost" as quick as a TSTE on acceloration, almost...I have Driven both and well I would love a 5spd 3.1L hell If I found one I would Trade my STE for a STE 3.4L 5spd in a heartbeat. but then again who wouldnt....LOL

and yes they are supost to be goverened at 128 but mine is not for some reason it goes faster...there is another TSTE on the forums that has been even Faster, I think it was tom..but not sure and if it was him its probably because he is lowered....

and when I floor it and hold it...1st to 45-50 2nd to 100-110 3rd till the needle is gone then it shifts to 4th and drops the RPMs to like 3500-4000

My car also doesn't shift untill 6K at WOT

now why dont we stop pissing up this Rope and have some Fun, but hell I'll debate...LOL

U want me to take a picture next time?? Who knows what transmission is really in my car because its one of those Dr. Nick Jobs so who really knows. Also the car had just shifted into overdrive at about 115 mph... Hell at WOT the car only shifts into second at 35

Actually yes, and find out what tranny you have. Check on the tranny pan it should be stamped there

What mods you have?

Wow, you really need to stop exaggerating,

0-50 in a few car lengths?

60 to speedo gone time = about 3 seconds?

Top speed = 142?

Do you even have any idea?

My god, mathmatically it takes well over 220 Horsepower at the ground to push a 3500 lbs car to 142 with a drag coef of .29.

And with nominal 15% drivetrain loss (should be much higher for auto and higher yet for FWD), that means you need to be pushing 258HP flywheel.

Oh, and look at this:

0-50< 3 car lengths = 60ft, so good drag cars can do 60ft in about 2 seconds, so your 0-50=2 seconds, and 60-120=3 seconds so your stating you go from 0-120 in about say oh...

what 5 seconds? (unless your car takes 18 seconds to go from 50-60)

LOL man. You crack me up.

BTW, I have a 313 RWHP Z28 (roughly 370-375HP) that based on your observations would be passed like its standing still by your TSTE of doom.

I can't hit 50 in a few car lengths and I can't go 60-125 in 3 seconds either.

Quit posting such crap, someone might believe you.

what year is that z28? isnt that about stock HP for the new ones with the 350? and dont get an ego because lower 300 HP is nothing to brag about my friend. thats barely enough power to call a car fast, IMO.

back to the original subject, ive had my 3.1 (89 cutlass supreme 2 door, if that helps) up to 115 with a little bit more room to go but it was slowly accelerating, i took the vette out last weekend and had 'er goin 135 no sweat with tons of room for more. that was fun...!