Most recent detail pics and more

godofthunder

Ok, recently, I detailed my car with my tips learned on a detailing forum. This included the following process....

Wash with Dawn

Clay bar

Rewash with Megs gold class wash

Meguiars #9 - Swirl remover

Meg's #7 - SHow car glaze

Megs #26 - High tech yellow wax

dress trim and tires

Then, a few days later, a second coat of wax. Eventually (next week, or when this water pump stuff is beter), im putting on another coat of glaze and wax. If you have any questions, PM me about this kinda stuff!

Oh, and last pic was taken the morning after hurricane issabel. Doesnt look to bad (check out that shine in the hood th ough :) ), but the hood was quite scratched and a weird cruddy film was all over the car too.

Sorry about the clearness. They were taken with a cheap film camera, and then croped after scanning. I have nice higer res immages to.

self.jpg Thats me!!!

rear.jpg Booty shot

front.jpg

huricane.jpg

jon

Lookin' good.... keep 'er glossy. :wink:

I love GM paint.

My boss just bought a brand new Intrepid, and my exGF just bought a brand new SX2.0.. Chrysler paint sucks in my opinion.

The Intrepid's black, and has this nasty sparkly fleck in it. I hate fleck! It looks so awful, how can you ever get your car shiny if it's all sparkly and random/flashy?

hehe...its got those metal things too...

This is medium green metalic paint. I have YET to get a good pic that actually shows it though. I think if i get a dig cam i may have beter luck. Personally, thats the only thing that makes me happy having a green car is the metal flakes. You still shine the thing up, just its somtimes even shinnier!

But i know what you mean with the crys stuff. That intrepid in the backgound is my parrents 02, with a R/T engine (ES trim though). Its got metalic paint too...but not as impressive. To me, it seems more on top of the paint, then mine.

Jon

Doesn't washing with dish detergent ruin the clear coat?

Mirror shine is the way to go, IMO. The fleck paint looks good in the right light and at the right angle.. but not every day driving.

yes, washing with dish detergent is not very recomended. Constant use of it can ruin your paint over time. This is because mainly its a little tooo strong, and takes some nice oils out of your paint.

But, it also cuts through and removes all previous wax and chemicals. This gives you the best base to start with. But, you HAVE to use a glaze, to partly replinish those oils. Actually, Megs #7 is very oily, and you never really remove it...just layer it. If you remove it, you end up spreading it more.

I was very iffy about using dawn on this paint. But, was remended by everyone, and there cars are 10000-x beter than mine (Porches, Merced v12s, Ferrari, Bently, etc). Hell, polishes are removing paint too, thats why you dont polish ever week :)

Jon

the forum is at http://www.autopia.org. Really nice place.

dawn actually is kinda rough. But not abrasive. Remember, dawns famous for cutting greese and oil.

But, that place rocks. Every one is very nice and informative.

But...the way the car shines in that last picture...shows how clean it can get, or reflective. Again, the camera has a lot to do with this too...but I LOVE detailing!

jon

I prefer a mirror gloss. But I also think that a well done metal flake can look pretty sweet. My dad did metal flake on his F-100 when he restored it (fucker sold it before I turned 16) and it was cool. The Regal's got subtle flakes, and I like them, but not as much as I would a straight Red car.