My motor wont start, give me your ideas!

Aaron

so weve spent the past week getting the motor in adn everything hooked up and ready. i hate everything electrical. its gay. anyway. we get everything ready, i leave off the coolant resovoir, washer tank, hood, and front mount just for ease of operation. so we built oil pressure by turning it over, then hooked up everything. so were ready to run. we tried to start it, and it wont start. it cranks fine, but wont start. it is possible that they fucked up the cam timing, and the dealer said that it soudns liek a cam timing problem. We have spark, we have compression, we have fuel. just maybe it aint happenign at the right time. like the fuel is compressing in cyl 3, but the saprk is firing in cyl 5 maybe. so please, give me any ideas!

thanks a lot!

Just a guess cuz my friend had the same problem with his 3.8 not starting after a rebuild. Do you have the wires and coils in the proper firing order? He had the plug wires on the wrong coils and after he looked it up and fixed it it started and ran great.

they are on correctly, i checked it and redid it multiple times. and i do have spark, plenty of it. so our best guess is cam timing, but that defies this place. geddes was reccomended to us numerous times, and i have faith. but i dont think that they have done many DOHC V6s. so i dunno. it is going to the dealer on monday, they are gonna diagnose and fix the motor. then charge us, then we ask for geddes to reimburse, adn they of course wont, so we go to court. i hate to do this, but we are almost positive he didnt set the cam timing right.

thanks daggar for your help tho, any help is appreciated.

rotate your crank to the timing mark and pull off the front cam cover the flats should be either up or down, that doesn't tell you for sure cause you can't see the back but if thats right chances are the rest of it is right too

Al Serra chevy has had the car for the past week. heres what this shop did. they didnt have the cam timing anywhere near where it should be. so they owe the dealer 500$ for that. then they had the exhaust cam gear on the intake cam and vise versa for cylinders 1-3-5. so another 500+for that. they fucked up bigtime. for 3000$ to a trusted machine shop, id expect they could time some fucking cams.

When I did my rebuild the timing wasn't right at first. It wouldn't start. Then we got the timing closer but still not dead on. I got it to start tho. I went a whole 2 miles and it quit. I had to get it towed, so I got it towed to my friends shop. Found out that with the timing off I ended up smashing 4 of my valves. It cost $2300 to fix the damages to the heads and replace the valves, along with all the gaskets to get to the heads. :cry:

thast y i let the shop do it, and unfortunately it is a non-interferance so nothing got bent. but oh how nice it would have been had it smashed valves, they would have owed me ANOTHER rebuild, this time right, for free. i get it back today after i bent the t-stat housing and i cant wait!