Who in Canada has used SHELL GASOLINE?

gmrulz4u

I've ALWAYS used Shell gas in my 89 Cutlass. Have been for over 3 years.

For the past 2 or so years, I've had strange Fuel Gauge problems. It used to read near empty when the tank was full, and now it reads half when the tank is empy!?

So, I've always just assumed that this was a car problem, and NOT based on the fact that I have used only Shell gasoline since owning the car.

Well, I recently just read some articles by searching Google that back in the spring of 2002, Shell was "caught" selling BAD gas that was screwing-up Fuel Gauges, Fuel Pumps, Injectors etc.

Here's a ton of articles on it:

http://www.shell.ca/code/library/news/2002/02nr_may27_fuel.html

http://www.shell.ca/code/library/news/2002/02nr_may29_customer.html

http://www.shell.ca/code/library/news/2002/02nr_may29_customer.html

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSTopNews/shell_may27-cp.html

I'm going to call that 1-800 number that they've set-up for processing refunds and see what they say.

Just checking to see if anyone else has ever heard of this?? For those in Canada at least...

:)

i dont think we have any shell stations in bemidji, i use citgo but thats only because thats the closest gas station to my house, and i use the cheapest stuff, to me gas is gas, my car seems to run just fine on regular gas, i guess i havent tried with a higher octane, maybe after i get paid...

I used to work at shell for a year. We had people galore coming and shitting on us. Basicly the thing that was wrong was the amounts of detergetns being used. They fixed that problem. You could try checking out that number, but Im not sure what good it will do. Lemme know what happens!

Basicly the thing that was wrong was the amounts of detergetns being used

I believe gas is a detergent isn't it? I didnt know they added anything else special to make it more of a detergent.

gmrulz4u i also am in london ontario.... small world ???!!

i think that Pionee is doing a great job with gas here in london. I have been filling up with gas at pioneer for 4 years now ant nothing has gone wrone... (and it's cheep to)

I put SHELL gas in my Oldsmbile here in US couple times and those time i thought that my car was breaking up, backfiring a little, no power and shaking when accelerating and when i got Delta gas what i usually use problems went away only when i got lazy and didnt feel like going 1/2 mile extra i got Shell i had problems.

SHELL here where i live is the most expensive gas about 15cents more then other gas stations and to me its the worst gas.

yes i have heard of this, i heard that the sulfurs or something in shell gas reacts with the gas gauge sensor in the gas tanks of gm cars, and causes a chemical reaction which throws off the gauge.

i heard its cause i think gm used ceramic sensors in older gm cars, they now have switched to aluminum or some kind of other metal.

but for some reason it is shell and one other gas station that causes this, sunoco is fine. i have always used sunoco since day one (mainly cause i get a discount from sunoco and they have ultra 94).

yes i have heard of this, i heard that the sulfurs or something in shell gas reacts with the gas gauge sensor in the gas tanks of gm cars, and causes a chemical reaction which throws off the gauge.

i heard its cause i think gm used ceramic sensors in older gm cars, they now have switched to aluminum or some kind of other metal.

but for some reason it is shell and one other gas station that causes this, sunoco is fine. i have always used sunoco since day one (mainly cause i get a discount from sunoco and they have ultra 94).

here in canada Sunocco has the LOWEST sulfur content that any other gas, sunocco does the because it actually is doing something for the environment... they understand that it is bad for the environment to have cars in the frist place, and the internal compustion engine is one of the most poluting things us humans have produced, so the ppl at Sunocco have tried to compensate that by reducing some of the chemicals that produse the 'greenhouse' gasses that our cars spew out. The gas at most sunocco stations is a little more expensive because of the further purification of the gas to take the sulfur out, other gas manufaturers have been told this fact but think it's a waste of time because it is more exspensive, and they don't want to raise gas prices any more...

there was a documentary on W5(a CBC show) i believe about just this topic... Sunocco said that they would keep doing this eventhough it cost more, thay are prepared to have a smaller profit margin, so that they can keep everyone working in there refineries and keep the price down.

SHELL usually has the worst gas.... same with FAS-GAS, I personally use Esso.... I used shell once in my truck... it ran okay, but I got about 200km (125 miles) to the tank, so I went back to Esso and got 350km (219 miles)