Replacing 99 Regal Monsoon Speakers

3pt1lumina

As many of you know I am buying Galen's Regal. I want to replace the rear speakers that it has that are shot. What can I use to replace them, only ones out of a Monsoon vehicle? Or any W? Or if anyone has upgraded their vehicle I'd be interested in buying them as well.

They aren't real bad so I can live with them for the time being, but definitely a project on my list.

You should be able to replace them with any aftermarket speaker assuming they are 4ohm speakers.

IIRC they are 1 ohm speakers from the factory. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I replaced mine with a pair of cheap Sony Xplod 6x9 speakers I had laying around. Worked perfectly. These are temporary, at least until I sell the Bonneville and have some money for a complete system replacement.

I'm going to check one yard around here that may have them, and if not I may just wait until I find good ones, or do what you said Birdman and get new factory ones. Unless I can get decent ones cheap and it wont compromise the sound. I've done aftermarket speakers with a factory HU before and it really didn't impress me.

I remember Shaun (Aquaman) telling me that some sort of Infinity 6X9 speakers to replace the rears are really good....wich I would have gotten to get around doing myself if I was keeping the car. I've just been too lazy to replace the speakers, since most of the music I listen to is 70's & 80's classic rock and doesnt have a whole lot of bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed another set of Monsoon speakers and they blew, so I'm not happy right now. Sad too when they blew off of a Phil Collins song, and had been in the car for 2 songs total. I'm going to look into another route (aftermarket most likely) because there is an obvious issue with these and I'm not going to deal with this for the remainder of the time I own this vehicle.

Any suggestions?

Edited by 3pt1lumina

I have found that Alpines seriously lack midbass and don't like to take any amount of power, at least the 6x9 variety.

Surprisingly I still love my old Sony x9's that my friend now has in his surround sound setup at home. They were kinda bright, but being in the back of the car you don't tell much, and they had pretty good midbass and decent bass for $50 speakers :lol: Not to mention they aren't blown after taking more power than the higher-rated (50RMS v. 40RMS) Alpines.

Installed another set of Monsoon speakers and they blew, so I'm not happy right now. Sad too when they blew off of a Phil Collins song, and had been in the car for 2 songs total. I'm going to look into another route (aftermarket most likely) because there is an obvious issue with these and I'm not going to deal with this for the remainder of the time I own this vehicle.

Any suggestions?

I confirmed they are 2 ohm speakers, not 1 ohm. JBL makes some good options in a 2 ohm configuration.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20785_JBL_GTO928.aspx

I confirmed they are 2 ohm speakers, not 1 ohm. JBL makes some good options in a 2 ohm configuration.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20785_JBL_GTO928.aspx

Those are nice speakers. Since you need 2 ohm your options are pretty limited. JBL or Infinity are the only 2 ohm aftermarket speakers I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit for 2000 post!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Those are nice speakers. Since you need 2 ohm your options are pretty limited. JBL or Infinity are the only 2 ohm aftermarket speakers I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit for 2000 post!!!!

These worked great! It sounds excellent now. Installed last night.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, new to this forum...

Just got a 99 Regal GS and trying to replace rear speakers (6x9) and the 4".

Tried simply replacing with aftermarket JVC (4 ohms) but the sound was weak.

What do I need to do to wire new speakers while keeping the stock Delco amp? Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Nick