Ignition question

95pghvert

I seem to have misplaced the keys for my 95 cutty parts car...I want to start it up to move her, Cant find the keys...Is it possible to hot wire it?...If not i looked into buying a new ignition from autozone but it says it wont start due to the chip in the key...Any input would be great!

I seem to have misplaced the keys for my 95 cutty parts car...I want to start it up to move her, Cant find the keys...Is it possible to hot wire it?...If not i looked into buying a new ignition from autozone but it says it wont start due to the chip in the key...Any input would be great!

I dug the ignition out of my 91 cutlass convertible parts car with a screwdriver. Took me about 5 minutes to get it out. The car now uses a flat head screwdriver as a key.

However, I've heard that you can take the title to a dealership and they can cut you a new key based on the title numbers.

Didnt think about the screw driver! might have to give that a try if im unable to get to the dealer ( probly wont happen, Hard to do crap when u work 70hrs a week lol)

I dug the ignition out of my 91 cutlass convertible parts car with a screwdriver. Took me about 5 minutes to get it out. The car now uses a flat head screwdriver as a key.

However, I've heard that you can take the title to a dealership and they can cut you a new key based on the title numbers.

The screwdriver won't help you with a '95 Cutlass...GM used VATS on those cars (resistor in key)...so you'd have to bypass the VATS module to get the screwdriver to do the trick, because the VATS module will disable the car if it doesn't see the right resistance...

Might just be easier to go to the dealership, and get another key.

yeah, VATS needs to be worked around, can be done with a pretty cheap resistor from radioshack, then you would be able to engage the starter via wire.

yeah, VATS needs to be worked around, can be done with a pretty cheap resistor from radioshack, then you would be able to engage the starter via wire.

Unless you don't know what resistor you need.

Although as cheap as resistors are you could make one for each key 'type' and just try them until one works. I know you can find the values somewhere online...

there's only 15 valid values anyway... but if you're gonna go the shotgun approach, just grab a potentiometer, adjust it to the R value you want to try, then try it. if it doesn't work, wait 5 minutes(IIRC it's a 3 minute cooldown, but 5 to be safe).

i just pulled this, should help for that.

post-2716-143689061953_thumb.jpg