Im new and I have a serious question about my monoleaf!

HolderOfLyte

Hey everyone, my name is Mike, and I am brand new as of tonight to the site. Im glad there is a tool with a forum such as this site that I can go to fpor help, being as there is little help otherwise. I have a 1996 Grand Prix SE 3.1L (v6). I am slouching close to touching the ground right now and i need a rear monoleaf asap. Can someone PLEASE point me to a site where I can buy a rear composite spring? i cant seem to find it ANYWHERE! or at least a coil over kit I can buy that has worked for someone else so i can do the conversion myself. Id like to keep it a mono if i could though. Thanks!

-Mike

Honestly I wouldn't get another monoleaf. I got a junkyard one in September to replace my sagger and it's sagging now as well. Not to mention the bolts for the shackles(?) like to bend and snap. When I get the money I'm just going to go coilover.

Honestly I wouldn't get another monoleaf. I got a junkyard one in September to replace my sagger and it's sagging now as well. Not to mention the bolts for the shackles(?) like to bend and snap. When I get the money I'm just going to go coilover.

Are you guys replacing the bushings, or do you have any under the struts?

I've never really seen monoleafs wear too much at all, that's just my experience. It's not like they can compress too much like springs. To me they're more on or off. There and working properly or boken. Not litterally, but you get the idea!

Are you guys replacing the bushings, or do you have any under the struts?

I've never really seen monoleafs wear too much at all, that's just my experience. It's not like they can compress too much like springs. To me they're more on or off. There and working properly or boken. Not litterally, but you get the idea!

On both of mine both pads were intact, but on the original spring there were big cracks in the spring itself.

Part of me suspects that the premature failure of this spring may be due to bad struts though. I was expecting it to fail quickly but not this quickly :think:

Hey everyone, my name is Mike, and I am brand new as of tonight to the site. Im glad there is a tool with a forum such as this site that I can go to fpor help, being as there is little help otherwise. I have a 1996 Grand Prix SE 3.1L (v6). I am slouching close to touching the ground right now and i need a rear monoleaf asap. Can someone PLEASE point me to a site where I can buy a rear composite spring? i cant seem to find it ANYWHERE! or at least a coil over kit I can buy that has worked for someone else so i can do the conversion myself. Id like to keep it a mono if i could though. Thanks!

-Mike

Mike,

IIRC these things run $600 new, which is why so many opt aftermarket (coilovers) or used.

There's a place around here called Birchmount Springs, in Scarborough (Toronto area), but I have no idea where you are so that might not even be an option. I'd hate to ship one of these!

thanks for all the advice guys. I am in dire need of the coilovers though. it had gotten so bad that my exhaust slammed on the ground the last time i bottomed out, and ripped off my link supports and it was dragging on the ground.( i just had the exhast fixed for $325) can anyone literally point me to a website page that i can buy from with a credit card? i just need to order coilovers ASAP. id like to be working on this by the end of the week if I can find them. no website is giving me accurate or detailed enough info for me to feel comfortable ordering them. I just want a point in the right direction and I know you guys are probably the best wealth of knowledge of w-bodies on the web!

thanks again,

Mike.

'96 GP SE 3.1L

Long Island NY

thanks for all the advice guys. I am in dire need of the coilovers though. it had gotten so bad that my exhaust slammed on the ground the last time i bottomed out, and ripped off my link supports and it was dragging on the ground.( i just had the exhast fixed for $325) can anyone literally point me to a website page that i can buy from with a credit card? i just need to order coilovers ASAP. id like to be working on this by the end of the week if I can find them. no website is giving me accurate or detailed enough info for me to feel comfortable ordering them. I just want a point in the right direction and I know you guys are probably the best wealth of knowledge of w-bodies on the web!

thanks again,

Mike.

'96 GP SE 3.1L

Long Island NY

Would you like me to put an ad in the classifieds section for you? This really isn't the best spot to solicit help with parts, there's at least a decent shot that someone could help you there. And I can link back to this thread.

If yes, would you consider the mono-leaf if you can get it in-lieu of the coilovers, or are you dead set on coilovers?