Where to get F/R STBs for 1st-gen W? Also, various 3rd-gen compatibility...

fastbird232

Where can I pick up front and rear STBs for my car? Do the 97+ ones fit? GMPartsDirect and the like only have listings for newer models.

Also, do any of the goodies from the GXP or Comp-G third-gens work with my sedan?

I could never find a Vert either, so an almost stock solution was out for me too. For an FSTB I bought the 97+ bar and mounted it to my strut mount plates (someones recommendation, I want to say AWeb but I can't prove that anymore...). Since this makes the strut mount sit at an angle, I got a spare set of strut mount plates, cut out the section where the FSTB's mount sat, added some thick washers, and it fits underneath the strut mount plate that has the FSTB attached to it perfectly. I'll snap some pictures if you're interested.

I actually bought a second bar hoping it would fit as an RSTB, but no dice. Want a good cheap solution? Grab a stock FSTB off of a Pontiac Bonnieville (92-99). I don't know if it has to be an SSEi, as the car that I grabbed mine off of was not marked. The first bonnie that I opened up had the bar. You have to drill out the mounting holes a smidge, and you have to modify the bracket slightly to make it fit around the middle rear strut bolt, but so far it is fitting in great. You also need to either A) weld on a couple extra inches to the bonnie bar, or B) put in a new 1x1 square tube bar and drill out mounting holes. Honestly it sounds like the same amount of work unless someone can tell me why the bonnie bar is superior...

I'm in the middle of putting the bonnie bar in as my RSTB now, if you want me to snap some pictures of that too.

Where can I pick up front and rear STBs for my car? Do the 97+ ones fit? GMPartsDirect and the like only have listings for newer models.

Also, do any of the goodies from the GXP or Comp-G third-gens work with my sedan?

Step 1: Attend Dayton W-body meet.

Step 2: Bring monies / other crap to trade or acquire monies with.

Step 3: Hope that Ken shows up in some sorry excuse for a W or some other vehicle that is sure to be missing all trim and bezel.

Step 4: Hide your kids, hide your wife, because they raping errbody out there!!

Step 5: Install FSTB

Step 6: Create build thread to celebrate successful installation.

I could never find a Vert either, so an almost stock solution was out for me too. For an FSTB I bought the 97+ bar and mounted it to my strut mount plates (someones recommendation, I want to say AWeb but I can't prove that anymore...). Since this makes the strut mount sit at an angle, I got a spare set of strut mount plates, cut out the section where the FSTB's mount sat, added some thick washers, and it fits underneath the strut mount plate that has the FSTB attached to it perfectly. I'll snap some pictures if you're interested.

I actually bought a second bar hoping it would fit as an RSTB, but no dice. Want a good cheap solution? Grab a stock FSTB off of a Pontiac Bonnieville (92-99). I don't know if it has to be an SSEi, as the car that I grabbed mine off of was not marked. The first bonnie that I opened up had the bar. You have to drill out the mounting holes a smidge, and you have to modify the bracket slightly to make it fit around the middle rear strut bolt, but so far it is fitting in great. You also need to either A) weld on a couple extra inches to the bonnie bar, or B) put in a new 1x1 square tube bar and drill out mounting holes. Honestly it sounds like the same amount of work unless someone can tell me why the bonnie bar is superior...

I'm in the middle of putting the bonnie bar in as my RSTB now, if you want me to snap some pictures of that too.

Id love pics of both... maybe a new thread though, to not clutter this

Ouch. I have 3 junkyards within 30 miles and each of them had Bonnies... But I live in the middle of CA. Pray at the AWeb altar?

Does he have a thread for this? I couldn't find one.

Found.

I'll just start with a RSTB and figure out a front bar when that project is finished.

Now, I'll assume from my STB research that if STBs aren't a direct fit between first- and second-gens, then not a hell of a lot else will swap between first- and third-gens? I've got this base model sedan sitting here and it just needs things, things which are more available the later of a model I can get it from. For instance, there are a few junkyards here, but I've checked and they don't have anything I can use (not even coupe seats from '88-'96). However, we do have a GM dealer downtown I can order things from, and GMPartsDirect is even cheaper.

nice. i recommend the 3.4 bar if you have the choice. i think bxx is going to start making a rear bar?

Yup, ill be doing fronts as well, but both of those are about 2 months out. The vert bar works, but still isnt the best. I have an aftermarket bar on my vert now, did notice a bit of difference, and it looks much better than the vert bar:thumbsup: Ill prolly just be making copies of that aftermarket one. I dunno who made it.

The vert bar works, but still isnt the best. I have an aftermarket bar on my vert now, did notice a bit of difference, and it looks much better than the vert bar.

yeah i just meant it was the better choice if going between just the 2 vert bars. i like the buick bar