Steering wheel controls don't work?

thickey8

I have a 1995 Olds cutlass supreme, Also have the steering wheel controls that include volume up and down and program and seek along with climate control temp and fan.Now i pulled the stock radio out wanting to upgrade to my kenwood deck, is equipped with steering wheel control wire so i didn't have to loose those. But come to find out the wiring harness does not have wheel controls included, also not knowing i would loose my climate controls along with everything else and the climate display doesn't dim anymore. Does anyone know how to fix this if i can get these settings back with my aftermarket deck?

im having troubles finding an interface for my radio i have a kenwood kdc-x794 if you find anything you should post a link and will my climate control buttons work too with this interface?

I swear these buttons just arnt spost to work ha

Universal, there typically is no radio specific device.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=207&CategoryID=29

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1016&CategoryID=29

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=212&CategoryID=29

The last time I was at Best Buy, they still sold Steering Wheel radio interfaces. If not in store, they CAN order them.

Get the Metra ASWC unit. It much much easier to install then the PAC pieces. We sell them at my shop for $80 but you should be able to find one online cheaper. The climate control shouldnt have anything to do with the radio. You may have just blown a fuse. Did you hook up the illumination wire?

How are the metra units overall? i've used pac a bunch of time but never a metra. The PAC ones w/ the wired remote are easy, but the other ones are more difficult. I heard the Metra ones are a little bit less reliable or something like that.

i live up in the loveland fort collins area

where in denver to do you live?

oh, cool, I'm actually in loveland right now...I'm up here quite often as my daughter lives in FoCo and my parents live in Berthoud and have a repair shop in Loveland. I live in unicorcporated Adams County...a little west of I-25 just off of US-36

How are the metra units overall? i've used pac a bunch of time but never a metra. The PAC ones w/ the wired remote are easy, but the other ones are more difficult. I heard the Metra ones are a little bit less reliable or something like that.

They are much easier to use then any other SWRC ive installed. On most cars you dont need to go into the column to find the steering wheel control wire. Plus they are pretty much self programing, you dont need to program all the buttons and that like on the PAC units. We have installed quite a few and have yet to have a problem with one.

very nice what shop is yours up here?

you still have you gtp?

Expert 4WD. No, but the 91 is still in FC somewhere...I saw it pretty recently driving around. The 96 belongs to jman093 now.

They are much easier to use then any other SWRC ive installed. On most cars you dont need to go into the column to find the steering wheel control wire. Plus they are pretty much self programing, you dont need to program all the buttons and that like on the PAC units. We have installed quite a few and have yet to have a problem with one.
Good to know...maybe I'll try one next time. Edited by pwmin