Why aren't there any NICE 1st gen w-bodies anymore?

supertrick_05

I was looking on Autotrader, Carsoup, and Craigslist...all over the United States...and out of all of the 94-96 GP 2-doors I found, I think maybe 3-4 were nice. The rest were decent but filthy and not taken care of.

Another thing...why is it that you can't find a Grand Prix with a clean carpet? All of them are brown in the driver's area. Doesn't anybody care to clean their cars? Jesus...

Ok, end rant.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MemphisMan

• Euro

• 94 olds vert

• fastbird232

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can speak from experience as a lot attendant...

It's because many, many people simply don't take proper care of their cars. I've seen vehicles just a few years old that look like they're ready for the junkyard. My parents and I keep our vehicles maintained and don't let the to-do list pile up, and the result is a fleet of aging cars (13, 18, and 19) that all look no more than a few years old. No special treatment (Aside from the GP, now that it's a project car), just maintenance, and they look fine.

Thats the fate of most cars these days regardless of age. People just drive them until they fall apart and don't think twice about cleaning it or in some cases maintaining it. With first gen Ws getting rarer by the day, when people like that get their hands on them and they just drive them until the engine starts knocking and since its old they don't bother to fix it, or maintain it in the first place.

It just pissed me off...the only NICE GP I've ever seen in my life was my dad's old '95 GP SE with the B4U aero kit. It was an exceptionally nice car. It had silver 5-star wheels and he had them painted white. I really wish he would have kept it. His old '91 GTP was a nice car as well, but back then the car was probably 5 or 6 years old. LoL

I just hate that every GP I see on the road either has body damage, or is filthy, or is rusted out. It's really sad...:(

Search greater distances, you're bound to found some that are nicer. When I do random searches here, I always come across a dozen or more nice condition cars for sale at any given time...and they're typically all rust free being in GA.

EDIT: Searching craigslist will probably be your best bet as people are too cheap to pay for a autotrader listing for an older car. Have you actually searched all over the US via crazedlist or similar?

Edited by mfewtrail

The cars were considered "disposable commuters" nearly 10 years ago. Its only gotten worse from there, rust, negligence, age, poor resale value have taken their toll.

Which is why I like having one in good shape as it stands out now more then ever.

Why aren't there any NICE 1st gen w-bodies anymore?

Gee, thanks :mad::mad:

Seriously though, to most people nowadays cars are throwaways. There's another white 96 just down the street from me, it's rusting apart and runs like crap. I don't think the person has washed it since I first remember seeing it.

And if I had a nickel for every car I've seen on CL with LIM failure or something easy to fix end up in junkyards a week later I could buy every single one of them.

I guess the tl;dr version is that people just don't care like they used to.

Asking why there arent any nice 15-23 year old W-Bodies anymore is like asking why cant my 80 year old grandmother bust a move on the dance floor anymore...yes, some 80 year olds can still dance, but having the expectation of such seems foolish. The average age of cars on the road in the US is 9.4 years old. There are less on the road and the ones still there have had a hard life. 23 years of wear and tear will take a considerable toll on a car, even if its cared for.

It also might make those with nice W-Bodies have more valuable cars. In a few years there might be some members on here with collector status cars...who knows? More wild things have happened.

I'm getting frightened seeing parts for my car frequently on clearance on rockauto. I'm wondering how long till finding an axle might be difficult.

Not all of them have met the demise that most 15-23 year old cars have...but the ones that haven't are either on here or in some old person's garage somewhere across the country.

I find a handful of nice ones in maybe a dozen autotrader searches. Heck, even nice 2nd Gen's are getting pretty hard to come by!

Heck, even nice 2nd Gen's are getting pretty hard to come by!

This is true. The reality of it is that these cars didnt even start out that nice. They were most likely the cheaper alternative to whatever else the person was considering buying. I know we all like them, but I think public perception plays a big part in this and these cars arent seen by most people as particularly desirable, thus leading to fewer people being enthusiastic about the maintenance of them, leaving fewer good cars.

I hear ya. I've been toying with the idea of driving a coupe version of my vert during the Winter months. I've done some half-assed searches for a 95 dark teal metallic CS coupe with tan leather interior. Nothing really nice online. If I ever get serious about buying one I'll go knocking door to door in South Florida where all of the retired folks have them hidden in their garages.

Thanks Jeremy.

Let me rephrase...you won't find a nicer 1st gen out there FOR SALE. :thumbsup:

If only that couple was dark teal metallic and had tan leather interior...

It's baaaaaaack. It's not a GP, but you won't find a nicer 1st gen out there. Just bring your wallet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/196-ORIG-MLS-DOCUMENTED-LAST-CUTLASS-SUPREME-BUILT-/180615842636?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a0d8b0b4c

I wonder why it was relisted. Deadbeat bidder?

Too high a damn price I think is what it is. They're idiots...the last IL Mecum auction they had a top bid of $15k but it didn't meet reserve. Now that's they're starting bid :roll:

This same seller did sell it via no reserve auction on ebay a couple of weeks ago for like $13.5k. I watched the auction end. Seems kinda messed up that they're now starting it at $15k.