gt3071r boost creep issues

Mach 5

btw the longer you keep off that wastegate actuator the more damage to the turbo you are going to do, its working overtime trying to push that 20psi, proably at the eff. of 30-40 psi +

why not start with the other issues and removing the boost controller

what actuator did you get with the turbo? ~7 or~ 15 psi version

I have exhaust leaks which i know Im gonna fix that tomorrow. I have a 7psi actuator installed right now. I would still think that if it did in fact have a boost leak that it would still cause an over boost situation if the wastegate was wide open.

i guess what your trying to say that without the actuator hooked up it will cause the turbo to overspin excess rpm which will cause damage..?? I agree with that but I dont think the manual boost controller has anything to do with it. I had it disconnected so I could diag to make sure the actuator was working properly before I removed it. ok well Im gonna see since I found the other post online about this issue is to port the wastegate housing they seem to think that if I leave 1/16" left to seal the wastegate I will be ok. But idk that seems to be alright for a 4 cylinder like the sr20 and the 4g63 where I got that info from. I will list those websites later when I have more time.

-Jarek

Realize that the SR20 probably flows about the same, if not better than a 3.1. It's the reason they got the same turbos stock (T25 60mm for TGP and T25 54mm for sr20). But, the SR has a 60mm TB stock while the 3.1 had what, 54mm? I know you have some engine work so you probably put the 3.1 close to spec with the SR20DET. What I'm trying to say is that if it worked on a SR20, it will probably work for you as well.

yeah thats what Im thinking too. Im pulling the turbo off today and I will report back. oh and stock tb is 52mm Ive ordered a 60mm so Im sure this issue will be a little worse if I dont take of it.

-Jarek

Adam I liked that housing but I think that without a different downpipe and crossover this would be too close to the coolant line and the intake system.. At that point I would just switch to v band.

update- I found that my crossover had cracked underneath the header wrap and its leaking at both tapered ends. yay!!

-Jarek

I'm gonna say you removed enough back pressure that the turbo isn't as limited flow wise anymore.

So now turbo is spinning faster / moving more air, your wastegate port needs to be bigger to allow enough exhaust to bypass the turbine wheel to slow it down.

To me if the issue didn't arise until after the 3" DP, then its not actuator issue.

I'm gonna say port WG port.

thumbsup!! since that was the fix

thanks for everyones thoughts and help!

-Jarek