Groaning Noise Turning Slow Speeds

ZeeQuick

Comes from the front end when turning and low speeds, Kind of a groaning noise. If I turn the wheel back sharply I'll get a popping/snapping noise. More likely to be sway bar bushings you think or maybe strut mount bushings? Or something I'm not even thinking of?? Just replaced both front lower control arms....so that's not it.

Yeah, popping will happen if I'm turning into a parking spot, when I go to return the wheel I'll get a pop/snapping noise. Creaking/groaning is happening at really any low speed turn, under 10mph or so. Also notice the low trac light has come on a few times when hitting bumps....not sure how that's related, if at all. With over 170K on the clock it probably just needs a new everything, haha.

Sounds like your front hubs/wheel bearings are eating themselves. That would also cause the low trac light. It will continue to get worse until it's on all the time.

Well the left wheel bearing has already been replaced around a year ago. Thought most of the time when the bearings go you'll get a groaning noise all the time....could be a possibility though. Thanks for the responses!

likely strut bearings / mounts, my Caddy does the same thing

Im going to agree with matt. Mine does the same thing, and I've chalked it up to bad strut bearings, which I'll replace in the spring.

I've also had a very similar noise was caused by my steering rack getting loose. I'd check that since tightening the rack bolts is a fairly quick job compared to the strut bearings and its free. Dont know if it would be the exact same setup on the 2nd gens compared to first gens

Gonna have the car up on the lift next monday for an oil change, so I'll check those rack bolts then, be cool if it was just that simple, but I'm thinking strut mounts/bearings too....my GTO made similar noises when those went bad on that.