1996 Grand Prix left front spring and tie rod end

jaustinbell

My sister's car has a bad left outer tie rod end and the coil spring on that corner is sagging from rust. I want to go ahead and fix both problems at once. I am going to go the the junk yard and find these parts from a clean car and I don't really care how many parts I have to pull as a unit if it makes the job easier. I don't want to have to fool with taking the driveaxle out if there's any way to get around it. What is the easiest way to do this?

I would buy the tie rod new as its only 20-25 bucks and buy a strut assembly from a j/y car and take off the 3 top bolts and 2 bottom bolts to avoid pulling the wheel bearing, then have it aligned

You are thinking of a second gen, al.

You'll have to pop the balljoint. And either remove the axle nut or the wheelbearing and pull the axle and the top 3 nuts. Also you will be limited to late 95s and 96-97 cutlass, regal and gp. Or late 95-01 lumina and monte.

Shoot. I have done a lot of things but CV axles aren't one of them. I have actually tried replacing one in both my 1996 Cutlass Ciera and my parents' old 1998 Nissan Quest. I gave up and abandoned both jobs shortly in. I have done much more complicated jobs before but for whatever reason have found myself generally incapable of fooling with CV axles. I really need to try and do this though as I don't want my little sister riding around on these bad suspension parts. How hard is this axle to get out? What special tools am I going to need? Is it going to be jammed in there so hard I won't be able to pry it out without damaging it or the trans?

You will only need to remove the axle nut at the wheel bearing and slide the splined shaft of the axle out of the bearing (may need some love with a hammer).

The axle can stay in the trans.