Disappointed

ZeeQuick

In regards to my previous thread last week, I got the Pioneers all wired in and everything, and honestly I'm a bit disappointed. Not nearly the amount of bass that I had with the stock Monsoon 6X9s. The speakers seem to be working fine, the woofer seems to be on as you can feel the cone vibrating. There just isn't any punch though. Wired them up to the midrange wire just before the bypass as was told to do. Should I have expected this after I removed my stock 6x9 subwoofers and replaced them with these standard woofers? Reading the reviews on Bestbuy.com there is a guy with a w-body saying that these things were kicking hard for him. Here's a link the the speakers I bought, any thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+6%22+x+9%22+3-Way+Car+Speakers+with+Polypropylene+Cones+%28Pair%29/9197031.p?id=1218056225570&skuId=9197031

If you're hooked to the midrange wires you're only going to get midrange. The bass comes from the woofer wires. However if you hook up to them you will get no mids, the woofer wires should be:

Left + Dk Blue/White

Left - Lt. Green/Black

Right + Dark Green

Right - Lt. Blue/Black

Does the car still have the factory radio?

What can you expect? You are not feeding them NEAR the amount of power that they require to perform correctly. Your stock Monsoon system is maybe 10 watts RMS. That, and the Monsoon speakers were designed to work in the cavity, and airspace where your stock 6x9's were at. Aftermarkets are universal.

You can try these out: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-790

You should also double-check the polarity of the wires. I connected one of my pioneer 6x9's backwards and they both had very little bass. I reconnected them correctly and there was much more bass.

Car does still have the factory radio. I did switch the wires around and it does seem to be a bit better, so maybe the polarity was off. I wouldn't have thought trying to power these speakers with the factory head-unit would be a huge problem, especially since there is an amp back there too. I had Pioneer 6x9s in my old Cavalier Z24 and those things kicked out some pretty good bass. Maybe I should have just stuck with the stock sub-woofer and been done with it, but the Pioneers do sound much clearer at least.

What about hooking one of the 6x9s up to the sub-woofer wire and leaving the other one as is? Or just hooking them both up since I still do have the factory mid-ranges back there?

Yes try that. If you're hooked to the mid range wires then you're not gonna get any lower notes going to the speakers. You could also get a component set with a seperate tweeter and mid and wire the tweeter to the midrange wires and the mid to the subwoofer wires.