Rev, gurgle, pop, stall

jreed10

AWESOME!! :high5: It sucks that you were having all those problems because of one little damned O2 sensor.

Yeah, but at least it only took about $50 to fix it. It only took so long because I couldn't find the time to work on the car. I'm still kind of surprised that just that one O2 sensor could cause all of the problems that it did.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jreed10

• AL

• tornado_735

• Crazy K

thats only if your car is equip with that option

I got to thinking about that after I posted. I definitely don't have magnasteer.

Also, I'm almost 100% certain that my purge solenoid is plugged in, but I'll check anyway, just to be completely sure. I looked all around the rear of the engine while I had it rocked forward, and everything appeared to be in order. The car is still running great.

Somebody's gotta do it...

It means that you should service the engine soon. :leaving:

Seriously though, what code is it throwing?

Oh and Mike, just be glad you aren't troubleshooting EGR on a Fiero GT. That stupid rube goldberg system is so bad that the best fix is to upgrade it to the 3100 setup!

Clogged catalytic converter! It makes sense, considering all of the unburnt fuel that my 3100 was blowing into the exhaust prior to the replacement of my O2 sensor. So, I guess I will now be learning how to gut a cat in my apartment parking lot. Oh well. If it can be done in a Walmart parking lot, I can sure as hell do it here. As always, any advice about how to help make the process a bit easier will be greatly appreciated.

It's gonna be noisy, and if there are emissions where you are, you will fail miserably. Shit, cut the cat out completely, sell it to a scrapper, and have a straight pipe welded into it's place!

I fully expect it to be noisy. Hopefully it doesn't sound like complete ass, but I guess we will see. Luckily, they don't do any emissions inspections or anything in Kentucky, so I would be fine without a cat. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a straight pipe welded in, but I don't know of any shop that would be willing to do that.

Thanks, Al. I doubt that I'll find one to fit my shitbox, though.

??? it's the same as used on basically every other gm car..... they make it for the post gen crows, and it should fit your car.

alternatively you could try a couple spark plug defoulers, which won;t cost nearly as much...

I just don't know where to look. ZZP wants $60 for their O2 emulators, no returns if it won't work on my car, and so on. To hell with that. I can't afford the $150 to replace my cat, and getting rid of it looks like more trouble than it's worth. I'm really undecided about what to do with the car at this point. I don't know if I even have the motivation to fuck with it anymore, but I guess I'll keep trying until I can afford something that doesn't break down all the damn time.

Edited by jreed10

alternatively you could try a couple spark plug defoulers, which won;t cost nearly as much...

Does this really work? Anything that can save money and still get the job done is what I need right now.

What do I need to do? Just screw them onto the O2 sensor and screw it back in? I'm trying to figure out how to go about fixing this as cheaply and quickly as possible. I don't have a saw (no power tools whatsoever, actually), or a proper place to work on the car, and the only person I know for sure wouldn't have a problem with welding a straight pipe in place of the cat is my dad, who lives 250 miles away. I also have a VERY limited budget, to say the least. The whole situation just pisses me off, because I only got about 40 miles of enjoyment out of the car before it decided to fuck up again. Am I just screwed?

So is the cat really clogged or is the SES light on saying the rear 02 is pissed off? You can drive fine with a cat thats not clogged but isnt burning the unburnt fuel... Unless its really clogged, I dont see why you cant drive it...

And the emulator plugs into the plug that would normally go to your 02 sensor... So all you do is unplug the sensor and plug in the emulator and then route the wiring away from the exhaust and zip-tie it up, they even supply the zip-tie, took me 5 minutes to install... Still no light and I read the data and it just sends information to the computer pretending to be an environmentally friendly 02 sensor... I can get pics of what it is and where I routed mine