Rev, gurgle, pop, stall

jreed10

I always do my own oil changes for ~$20. I'm definitely willing to take my chances with being yelled at in order to save nearly $20 and have the peace of mind knowing that the job was done right.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jreed10

• AL

• tornado_735

• Crazy K

I can definitely believe it. I trust very few people with my car. Even back in high school, when I occasionally got lazy and had the oil in my old Mazda changed by a shop, I always checked my fluid levels before I even started it up. It seemed to offend a few people, but I wasn't leaving anything to chance.

You know i was going to mention also, since your running on 7,000 miles on old Oil. What about a new fuel filter? They are not that hard to replace. I have done it twice now! I figure if its anything clogged I would aim there.

OH and Rockauto FTW!

Interestingly enough, the Cutlass is running better than it has in months, and I haven't done anything to it yet. I ordered a new oxygen sensor, so I'm going to replace that regardless of anything, since it has been running so rich. Also, I now haz a digital multimeter, but I honestly don't know what I'm doing when it comes to ohm checking my fuel injectors. And I have replaced fuel filters before, but I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. The objective here is to fix this car as cheaply as possible, which is why I want to just check my fuel injectors and go from there. Thanks for your input, everyone! I'll get this problem figured out eventually.

It's the strangest thing.

You know how I posted in your vid that when the O2 sensor shit on my Jeep? There were times where that thing ran like a rape date. If I caught it right, it would even turn the tires over (30x9.5R15 BFG A/T's) Then, there were times where it ran so bad I wanted to kill it with fire. Surging, backfiring, stalling. More than once it tried to jump out into traffic on me. FINALLY, after putting up with this bullshit for months, it threw a code. Actually, two. Upstream O2 circuit volts high, O2 preheater malfunction. $59 and 10 minutes later, I haven't had a problem since.

i thought the saying was "raped ape"???

but yes, a flakey O2 will do that crap.

I stole that term from Mike (MCDude). He used it in my project thread LOL!!!

jreed10

Dealing with a DMM (Digital multimeter) is easy. Since your wanting to "ohm" your injectors, or in other words "read the resistance" of the injectors, you want to set the dial on your meter to the "omega" symbol. I am sure someone will chime in on what "value" but if i would were to guess it shouldn't be any more than 100 ohm's. That is just a guess, but i think I'm correct on that, When you get time take the two leads from the meter and hook them to the end connectors of the fuel injectors, and tell us what "resistance" it reads.

Oh in case your wanting to know what the hell the omega symbol looks like, its this: Ω

i am step ahead!

Robert, you're the man! Thank you!

It's the strangest thing.

You know how I posted in your vid that when the O2 sensor shit on my Jeep? There were times where that thing ran like a rape date. If I caught it right, it would even turn the tires over (30x9.5R15 BFG A/T's) Then, there were times where it ran so bad I wanted to kill it with fire. Surging, backfiring, stalling. More than once it tried to jump out into traffic on me. FINALLY, after putting up with this bullshit for months, it threw a code. Actually, two. Upstream O2 circuit volts high, O2 preheater malfunction. $59 and 10 minutes later, I haven't had a problem since.

This is EXACTLY what the Cutlass is doing. Half the time, it will run almost like it should, but other times, like earlier this evening, it will surge, buck, and stall out on me. Thank God I ordered that oxygen sensor. Now, I just get to play the waiting game. But, it's worth it to save $20, at least for me. In the meantime, I'll just catch a ride with my roommate, even though that can get pretty problematic. Does anyone have any tips on getting the oxygen sensor out of this car? I looked at it earlier today, and it looks like it will be a total PITA to remove.

throw the trans into neutral and disconnect dogbones. at that point, it becomes incredibly easy to move it in either direction. i use one of the bolts that come out of the dogbones and slip it behind the mount and it holds it far enough forward to make spark plugs and alernators VERY easy to deal with.

That sounds easy enough, and I bet that rocking the motor forward will help me a lot. With that, and the removal tool, I should be good to go. Thanks again for the help. This car has just been so reliable that I've barely even had to touch anything under the hood, aside from the power steering pump, in the entire 3 years that I've owned it. I definitely can't say that for any other car I've ever owned.

Damn. I would have definitely bought that O2 sensor from you. I didn't order a TPS, though, so I'll send you a PM if I wind up needing one. My oxygen sensor is currently in Ohio, and scheduled for delivery today. If all goes well, the Cutlass will be fixed on Wednesday. I would do it sooner, but that's my day off this week.

Replaced my oxygen sensor on my 3100 couple months ago. Yes rocking the engine forward made it 100x easier cause i could get my 2 foot breaker bar on it. HA, yes it was that tight even with a smoking hot exhaust. What a PITA but o well the 3mpg increase was worth it

What socket did you use? I bought an 02 sensor socket that broke using a normal half inch drive with not much pressure on it at all...

That sucks, I bought mine from amazon for like $7 at the time. It was a OEM 25001 3/8". It is a nice a sturdy socket. I bet it would take a lot before breaking. Used it 3 times so far, two of which were super tight.

So, I tried my luck at replacing the oxygen sensor today. Yeah, that didn't go well. This thing is such a fucking PITA to get to! I would have better luck ripping the whole God damn engine out. I tried rocking the engine forward, but I can't get it to rock far enough for me to get to the oxygen sensor. So, I have made absolutely ZERO progress on this GM pile of fuck. I have about had enough of FWD cars. I have NEVER in my life had so much trouble trying to do something as simple as replacing an O2 sensor. Why the fuck would you put one where no one can get to it? God, I'm so fucking pissed at this thing right now! This car is not worth all this bullshit.