NEW QUESTION: 1.5 swaybar into gen 1 car

white4d96

I'm in the process of swapping leaves (and replacing two bent lateral links.) While unbolting the two brackets that hold the spring to the cradle, one bolt on each (the rear one I believe) snapped off. Is it safe for me to just tighten the one bolt down? If not, how the hell am I supposed to get this broken piece of bolt out? There was so much friction that at one point the front bolts were smoking heavily, even with lots of WD40, so I'm concerned about getting enough torque with an easy-out or similar contraption. I wish I could just forget it and go coilovers but due to blown rear shocks and cost that is not an option right now.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by white4d96

I might try one tomorrow. Failing that, maybe I'll just piece the car together so it's not resting on stands and save up for coilovers.

It's just been a really frustrating night, between the aforementioned problem, finding a bunch of nasty rust spots, and just having a b***h of a time with getting the subframe out and apart. Hopefully tomorrow's a better day.

Having broke both bolts in one of those and driving the car for three years before fixing it..... I would try to fix it. here is the easiest thing to do: GO TO THE DEALER AND SEE IF THEY WILL SELL YOU NEW INSERTS. the insert is easily removable if there is no bolt stuck in it, and for my car and I actually pulled a used one out of a junker after successfully pulling it's bolts out. There is access pass though hole that can be used if the lateral link is moved out of the way, but with a broken bolt you will have to wail on the old retainer clip until it breaks into pieces to come out. once out stick the new one in (preferably get new bolts from dealer?) crank it down with some thread lock on the threads and then liberally grease and pb blaster the clip so it will not fail again......

p.s. pm me if you cannot get the clips, I should have some.

Basically a lot of shit is going wrong at the same time now. I got the knuckle-caliper bracket issue sorted (I think). No dealer in my area seems to want to deal with me and my old car so I guess I'll just tough it out until I go coilover.

talk to us and we can help you with whatever you need.... and FUCK THE DEALER. (usually)

the parts you might need could be easily be found in good used condition in cleaner areas of the country.... even I have the parts you are implying you need.....

If I can get those damned bolts out I can use the ones I have. I'm just worried about breaking an easy-out before the bolt even turns, especially since it wouldn't be mine to break.

Turns out my friend's dad has some so I might try again later in the week. At least the car's together and drivable for now, just gonna take it easy and no long trips until I get it sorted. Those bracket/mount jobs sure are talkin', but they're holding for now.

I found the source of the noise: 100_1627.jpg

Both of the mounts for the sway bar are snapped, and the bars themselves are kissing the rear lateral links. I'll just pull the bar for now until I can either get a Lumi one or figure out what I did wrong routing-wise.I'm just baffled because I didn't even remove the sway bar; I just pulled the whole subframe out.

Lol damn Crazy, is there anything you don't have? =P

I have credit for the local Pick N Pull so I'm gonna swing by there in the morning and see if there's any Z34 bars. Figure since the bar's out, why not put a better one in?

And I figured out what I did. Stupid me put the bar back in upside down. Don't ask me how; I don't remember taking the sway bar off the struts.:think:

i agree... get a bar from any 3.4 gen 1 car.... or upgrade and use a bar from a gen 1.5 with a little more work... I have the cage reinforced brackets needed to use the 1/2" gen 1.5 bar (the smallest of the three gen 1.5 bars they offered) on a GEN 1, which is thicker than a 3.4 gen 1 bar...

so you know:

(sizes are approximate, I need a caliper...)

gen 1 small bar: 5/16"

gen 1 large bar: 3/8" <--gen 1 3.4, possible 3.8 cars

gen 1.5 small bar: 1/2"

gen 1.5 medium bar: 5/8"

gen 1.5 large bar: 3/4" <--- 1995 gen 1.5 3.4 ONLY.

Edited by Crazy K

What kinda mods are needed to fit a 1.5 bar? Can I just use its factory brackets?

only if you weld a cage to the bracket, as the bar is actually 1 inch wider and works only if compressed into position, but then it pushes out on the bushing, so the caged bracket prevent the bushing from popping out. ...and only the smallest gen 1.5 bar works with this trick.

Joke's on me, between my last trip to the junkyard and today they crushed all the LQ1 cars there. I'll just hold out until they get a new one in I guess and hopefully it'll have a good bar in it.

Kabump.

I might just pick up a 1.5 bar and see what I can do to make it work for now.

Would it be possible to just cut the ends down to size? Or would that not be a good idea?