Parking brake not releasing fully

npfd

Hey all,

I used the search and read up on several posts about the parking brake (foot brake, emergency brake..).

The car '97 Cutlass Supreme.

Lately we adjusted it and it seemed to hold the car better on hills. Lately, it seemed like the adjustment is not holding the car as well, so I thought to give it another shot. This time I jacked up the passenger wheel, and noticed that with the parking brake released, it takes some effort to get the wheel moving, with it engaged it stops the wheel. The same happens on the driver side. I noticed its not as lose when the front wheels, when you turn and they rotate a bit after, the rear wheels stop...

Today I was trying to get a good adjustment, as backing off the adjuster nut, and pumping the ebrake... I never managed to get it to release fully. I loosened the cable a lot to the point when the parking park is released there is slack in the cable, from the parking brake up to the adjuster nut.

I'm guessing the parking brake is not disengaging fully. I hope the calipers are not seized, they seem to be fine. Does the ebrake cables need any oiling? anything else we should look at? Also we should try removing the cable on the caliper with pliers and a hammer as indicated in other posts?

Thanks a bunch.

• 3 months later...

Ive played around with my `94 CS e brake cable a little, how much slack do you have when its disengaged? Mine just hangs out with a decesent amount of slack but engaged its tight. Heres an idea get a buddy to engage and disengage the parking brake while you watch what happens at the rear wheels, but make sure shes not going to roll on you. I jacked the entire car up so i wouldn`t worry about a ton of America muscle crushing my 200lbs of american muscle. Let me know if this helps.