an odd question for the 3.1turbo/5spd guys..

Jeorge

what Rpm does your Car sit at when going 60 down the Road in 5th??

the reason I ask is Im getting ready for a swap and im not sure I want the 5spd if Im going to loose top end.

and by getting ready I mean just buying the parts for now..still waiting on a donner motor to rebuild first.

You have got to be kidding me.. :lol: Theres no way your going to lose top end. If anything you'll gain top end.

well it depends on the Gears in the Tranny I know my OD is a .70 Im just wondering what the 5th in a 282 is

Can't remember the RPM it sits at.. I'll be taking a trip today, so after that, I can tell you.

4th gear pulls freakin' hard on the highway, as well as 5th once you get your speed up.

I believe Getrag 282 has a 3.61 FDR, while the 284 has a 3.67 FDR. The auto that comes in the TGP has a 3.33 FDR. So if the 282 5th is .72, and the 4T60 4th is .70 then theoretically you should lose some top speed.

Guest TurboSedan

my n/a 3.1/5-speed sat at about 2700 RPM in 5th @ 75mph if that helps. and if i downshifted to 4th and floored it it would quickly get up to 95mph. much faster than what the car would do with the 4T60 in it.

btw, brian89gp has a website with all gear ratios listed. the 5th gear in the W-body 282 is only 19% Overdrive, whereas the 4T60 has 30%. and yeah, FDR on the W-body 282 is 3.61, the 4T60 being 3.73. so what would have a lower cruise RPM in OD or 5th? i bet it's pretty close.....i know...someone out there with a 3.1/4T60 could get out on the interstate, set the cruise @ exactly 75mph and tell us what your tach reads! yeah! :P

joshua

someone out there with a 3.1/4T60 could get out on the interstate, set the cruise @ exactly 75mph and tell us what your tach reads! yeah! :P

joshua

My ALDL monitor tells me that at 75mph, my 3.1/4t60 is turning between 2150 and 2200 rpms. It fluctuates on the revs due to the algorithm used.