what should i do w/my other T25 turbo?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

now that i have 2 seperate T25's i can use the car while i research rebuilding the other turbo as a T25/T28 hybrid. what exactly is changed and what companies offer hybrid rebuilds for the TGP T25? i guess my T25 would be the core, but what would be changed? will it use the same center section? i'm assuming it would use a bigger T28 compressor side and the same T25 exhaust side making it a bolt in upgrade. now that i have an extra T25 turbo i've been thinking of a hybrid instead of a T3. then at least i wouldn't have to fab up a custom dowpipe, crossover, and oil/coolant lines, support brackets, etc.....any additional info on this upgrade welcome -

thanks

joshua

Give it to me of course!

I know this doesn't help you at all, it is just the first thing that came to my mind before even reading the post.

I don't know anything about this upgrade you are talking about, but it actually sounds good if it is a direct bolt in replacement. I want more info on it also.

Just remember that the turbine side of the turbo is drilled/tapped for the O2 sensor. I guess it could easily be put on the x-over pipe before the turbo, but it's just something else to think about. :)

Guest TurboSedan

ok i just got off the phone with a guy from http://www.forcedperformance.com they do hybrid T25 turbos for 2nd Gen DSM's; so i figured i'd tell him what i have and what he thinks. the turbo i had in mind was there Big T28:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTDSMFPBIG28&Category_Code=DSM-Turbo

now of course i'm not going to try to bolt up a DSM T25/T28 hybrid onto my crossover pipe :) , but i told him i had a Turbo 3.1 V6 from a Turbo Grand Prix and i told him the stock A/R ratios. he said if i sent in a core they could do a hybrid rebuild, which would keep my stock TGP T25 turbine side thankfully so i can bolt up my stock downpipe and use my stock rebuilt crossover pipe. it would have a T28 compressor, but he didn't tell me the trim specs or A/R of the compressor; more research needed for that really. he said the turbo will boost to 22psi (at least on a DSM), and i told him i only wanted to run maybe 10-15psi. he said the turbo would definately flow enough.

what about the exhaust side tho? is there any upgrade i can do to the stock TGP T25 turbine side of the turbo or is it just the compressor side that i can upgrade? is it even needed or is upgrading the compressor side more important than upgrading the turbine side anyway?

oh yeah - price $750 and i would have to send them my core ($150).....

any suggestions, ideas? i'm not a wiz on this shiz; i don't know how to read compressor maps and stuff like that yet. thanks,

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

Give it to me of course!

I know this doesn't help you at all, it is just the first thing that came to my mind before even reading the post.

I don't know anything about this upgrade you are talking about, but it actually sounds good if it is a direct bolt in replacement. I want more info on it also.

i may actually sell my other TGP turbo, to help get $$$ for the other rebuilt as a hybrid. neither need to be rebuilt (no shaft play). the one i just bought has a stripped hole and a gouge in the turbo->crossover flange, and i would probably use this turbo for the hybrid rebuild and have Forced Performance fix the problem while they were at it (or someone else if they couldn't - it's very minor damage). then i'd just sell my other TGP turbo (which is just fine in all respects), which i bought from IntlCutlass along with a crossover pipe for $250. i usually sell my crossover pipes for $50 (i have 2 for sale right now btw), and that turbo would be sold for hmmmm....i guess i could take some offers if anyone wants one (PM) :) i have an extra TGP radiator, charge pipes, and some other stuff too for sale if anyone is looking for anything in particular for their TGP/TSTE. there is also a TSTE in the salvage yard i might be able to get some stuff from (the car i got my motor from). last time i looked the hood vents were still there, don't know how much of the car is left tho. later,

joshua