low coolant light

godofthunder

Ok...as in my post about antifreze...this light keeps coming on.

Its really has only come on in the mornings, for the past 2 days. Itll stay on for a few miles (im thinking this is one of those switches where it trips, then stays on for a while, then resets). It will just happen out of the blue.

Today, im going to take out the Radiator overflow...and rinse it out. THen, im going to top off that to the "fill" line.

cutlassdude96 also mentioned the idea of the gaskets going. My dad also said that this stuff DOES evaporate over time.

The car hasnt acted up, and runs VERY cool.

Any ideas

Jon

check radiator and resevior tank levels. Don't ever mix the green and orange coolant very bad blows gaskets.

No, mixing coolant creates a sludge which is a PITA to clean + fully remove.

Godofthunder, make sure your Low Coolant Sensor doesn't have residual gunk on it.

Careful on cleaning it; DO NOT use any type of solvent.

A mild mix of water / Simple Green will do the trick.

- Erik

where is the sensor... my ligh has been on for a good 3 months now... always check levels and they are fine, but never could find where the sensor is for checking/cleaning/replacing..

- Justin

where is the sensor... my ligh has been on for a good 3 months now... always check levels and they are fine, but never could find where the sensor is for checking/cleaning/replacing..

- Justin

There is one right under the T-stat and one on the rear head, right by #5 cylinder. Should have one green wire coming from it

Robby

the one right under the t-stat is actualy the temp sensor, i know this cuz i had to redo the plug on the wire harness for it cuz it broke off and for some reason, when i hooked up the scantool, it said that my coolant temp was -3000 degrees and was dumping like 10x the propper amount of fuel into the engine, i was getting like 5-6 mile to the gallon until i got that replaced. but thanks for the other location... i need to check that.

- Justin

Low Coolant sensor on my Cutlass is on the Passenger's side of the radiator, held on by a spring clip. If it gets covered with crud, it will come on even if your level is ok.

Hope this helps out.

When I found my 00 GA GT, I test drove it and the "Low Coolant" light had come on when I started the car. I was going to walk away from it right then cuz I'm picky like that and to me that tells me somebody didn't take care of the car, or there was some problems. So I popped the hood and seen that the coolant level was fine. Turned out the sensor at the bottom of the overflow tank was a little gunked over. Dealership threw a new one in for free, and everything has been fine since.

Aaron

Low Coolant sensor on my Cutlass is on the Passenger's side of the radiator, held on by a spring clip. If it gets covered with crud, it will come on even if your level is ok.

Hope this helps out.

ditto, all low-coolant sensors are the same on w-bodies to my knowledge, hell the one on my 01 looks to be the same as the one on my 93 :lol: ..haven't confirmed w/ part number yet...anyways, I've heard it's common for the sensors to die and then falsely illuminate the low coolant light...happened in my 93 GP, I ordered a new sensor from gmpartsdirect around the beginning of this year, if I find the receipt/invoice I'll let you know what I paid so you can get an idea of what to expect to pay if you do replace yours(other option = unplug it and just check your coolant level frequently as you should anyway :wink: )

edit: by "unplug" I mean the electrical connector from the sensor itself...not unplug the sensor from the radiator as you'll have a mess on your hands after the car gets warm and sprays lots of coolant out of the hole...I'm sure you all know this, but it's a "just in case" warning 8)

also check the coolent level in the moring before leave for work and then again when you get home from work to see if theres is any change in the level.

Yeah...my dad said that the sensor was prob. in/on the overflow tank. And in that tank, is some dark crud (uncle mixed the wrong coolant..and for some reason, this was never cleaned).

So...i plan to take the resivor off...spray it down and rinse out....and reattach. Ill pull out that sensor too (where is it? someone said near #5 cyl..but i woudl think it was on the tank), and wipe it down.

If you see that part number, please let me know. Id much rather it be something like this, rather than what cutlassdude said and that i could have a bad head gasket.

Im going to read up in my haynes manual...see if i can find anything about the sensor...etc

Jon

is thats whats happening to yours though?

So ours is on the pass side of the radiator? not on the overflow tank? Ill have to look tommrow...i dont feel like draing part of the radiator to get to it...

jon

Hmm... i think i saw that sensor on the radiator...at the top, kinda hard to get to.

Theres not one in the overflow tank?

I am hoping to wash it out today..and fill it up. Well, to the line. I do think its odd that theres nothing in there already (there should always, or shold be some in there, right?).

I just hate halfass mechanics. I mean, my dad likes to skip corners...but this is shit from my Uncle when he had it. And he said they did great maitnence (which means wash, and they did change the oil). but he skipeed Tranny, tuneup, and rad.

On a side note

the light did come on again this morning (i havent done anything yet). It came on about 4-5 times, in a 30 minute drive. It would stay on for a minute or less.

I have notieced, thats its ONLY in the mornings. and for the past week, we have all of a suddon had quite cold mornings (40s...when it should be 60s (the high today)....and again, it just started this week

it could be coincidence...and just has evaporated off...just enough now to set off that sensor. But...ill clean up, and see what happens. If this dont fix it, i guess ill try the sensor.

Lastly...do i need to let the air out? I plan on removing the overflow, rinsing, and then replacing...then filling up to the fill line (on the overflow). Do I need to then let air out (and if so..how the hell do i do it?)

Jon

clean the sensor and clean the overflow tank if the light keeps coming on replace it. Whats the level in the tank when the light comes on.

I really dont know..caus im going 70MPH down I-64 at the time :)

Thoughh...i think i foudn the problem. I think i was just a little low. And..its been cold here. So...i was using the heater. And...i never new the heater also used coolant in the coils. So...i figure since stuff is going in there too...it drained it JUST enough to set the sensor off.

Though, next time i do a flush (which i think I will again in a year or so...that means 3 years of the car), I will change the sensor too.

Jon