4-hi headlight mod.

Jssuper

• 1 year later...

created from a 92 lumi 3.4 diagram. the way i drew this, it does NOT draw from the 20 amp headlight breaker. while you could wire it as such, i hate the idea. better to tap into something that wouldn't be within 1.25 amps of tripping the breaker (using the factory one anyways). the remote positive terminal is a good place, so that's what i use for this example. but as long as it's a +12V source able to source enough current, it will work. grounds... well, use best judgement as to where.

92 lumi uses a switched +12V source, so it's slightly different than the posted guide, but really, it's 2 wires being moved.

msWmu.png

as you can see, it's REALLY simple, just 4 wires and the relay.

• Like 1

Dude, you are a God among men. Thank you.

It can be any relay, as long as it has those 4 posts, right? I have an old ABS relay I pulled out of the GP lying in the garage.

Dude, you are a God among men. Thank you.

It can be any relay, as long as it has those 4 posts, right? I have an old ABS relay I pulled out of the GP lying in the garage.

ABS relay will work. any relay ~20 amps or better is more than enough.

Why the hell didn't/don't they make cars do this from the factory?

lighting laws. and some cars do this already, though it seems to have fallen out of favor sometime in the 90s.

take a look at the diagram. in the case of 1st gen luminas at least, it does switch the 12V portion. and to change it would be.... a long and potentially pointless exercise.

I got the supplies at NAPA for a staggering $12...

If the next photo in this thread is a picture of a Black Lumina on fire, I'm gonna be so pissed off :lol:

well, you could fuse/breaker the portion between the positive post and the relay, but otherwise, no other circuit protection is really required.

I have lo beam HIDs, Jeremy, and once you hit 80 mph, its nice to have the beam pointing a mile down the road, not half a mile...

Damm! I want to do this to the monte so bad now. :thumbsup:

I'm not really sure how it would work since you have DRLs...

i'll wait for the night report, assuming it goes well, i'm doing this to the MC. i have a few spare relays laying around (ABS, VATS, etc...)

i'll wait for the night report, assuming it goes well, i'm doing this to the MC. i have a few spare relays laying around (ABS, VATS, etc...)

I think it'll be great. Actually looks really strange with all four on at the same time :lol:

Let us know how the wiring and everything holds up too.

I've heard of problems with the wiring either melting or just other little random issues. I'm not sure if this really happens or if it's people just not liking the quad beam idea lol

melted wiring = too many amps through whatever size wire you're running.... or you got it way too close to some other heat source, either way....

18 gauge or thicker should be plenty for this. i would go 16, but that's my paranoia kicking in.

I went with 18 gauge.

I don't know why the wiring would melt, it's roughly the same gauge as the stock wiring.

I went with 18 gauge.

I don't know why the wiring would melt, it's roughly the same gauge as the stock wiring.

I agree, I don't see why you would run into an issue, I just know I've seen a lot of people throwing that warning out there.