General Brake info.

GPRACER

We had a GM/AC Delco brake person in at work today for an info seminar on some of the new products and some of the procedures.

I'd like to highlight a few of the things mentioned, may be beneficial to some of the do-it-yourselfers here.

1. Never use "Brake Cleans" on actual friction material, (Pads, Rotors) Today's brake clean is full of oil in place of the cfc's, and when it dries it leaves a filmy oily residue and can cause annoying brake squeal. If you must clean a rotor/pad use soap/water. The stuff is perfectly safe to use on all non friction parts and brake hardware.

2. Grease all sliders and contact points with a proper temperature rated brake grease. You should never clean sliders with an abrasive material, these parts have a stainless steel micro thin coating to prevent corrosion, you don't want to remove this coating.

3. Never use that sticky stuff on the back of the pads known as disc brake quiet, it can prevent some heat from escaping through the caliper/steering/suspension, ect. the extra heat just goes into the rotor causing it to prematurely warp, and in some extreme heat conditions could cause wheel bearing problems. Use the same brake grease mentioned above, works the same way only transfers heat better.

4. Never use antisieze compound on brake parts, especially the copper or aluminum based stuff, the grease evaporates with the heat and leaves the metal particles behind, works just like abrasive sand paper when the grease evaporates.

Hope someone finds this info helpful, I know I learned a few things and have to change a few habits.

I don't know what brand of brake cleaner that he is talking about, but I can attest that there are absolutely no oils whatsoever in CRC's Brakleen or Non-Chlorinated Brakleen. Everything that is in there will absolutely evaporate 100% and leave no residue at all.

I can't speak for the competition however, I know the rules change yearly and some companies are taking the cheap way out.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but I stand behind my company's fine products 100%, our stuff is not junk!

Guest TurboSedan
I can attest that there are absolutely no oils whatsoever in CRC's Brakleen or Non-Chlorinated Brakleen. Everything that is in there will absolutely evaporate 100% and leave no residue at all.

i agree. it dries fast and leaves NO residue. i've used both the regular CRC Brakleen (red can) and the Non-Chlorinated (green can) and both work great. i've never had a problem whatsoever and i spray the hell out of my calipers, rotors and even shoot it in towards the pad while i manually turn the rotor. gotta keep things clean :)

Brakleen is one of the best parts cleaners out there. i use ALOT of that stuff.

joshua