LQ1 dying, vol. 2

Night Fury

ESC: electronic spark control: basically everything ICM related....

almost sounds like you transposed the 2 and 4 when reading codes....

but hey, i could be wrong.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• mra32

• RobertISaar

• AL

I'm waiting on an icm/coil set in the mail. I'll let you know if it works.

You are first on the list though for buying it.

Please know the shape this car is in is not perfect. The red paint is in poor shape, black is good. HAs it's fair share of dents, ac doesn't work, radio works rarely, parking brake doesn't work, tires are dry rotting.

BUT I have been DDing it and it has proven very reliable and super fun to drive. I will throw in a bunch of parts if they are still in my previous landlords basement.

Yeah I've seen pics of exactly how it is from Al. I was very close to buying it off him just before you traded him the 89 for it. I'm aware of most of the flaws on it. I just think it would be a fun car to bum around town in and to work on sparingly on the side. I've always wanted a 5 speed W for as long as I've owned W-body's. As long as it can make it from Missouri to WNY that works for me.

I just think it would be a fun car to bum around town in and to work on sparingly on the side..

This it does very well, I drove it a lot more than that and it did great.

• 3 months later...
did you ever get it fixed

Yes sir, I replaced the coils and ICM together as a set with a used set and it completely solved the issue, So I don't know if it was the ICM or the coils. But it was one of the two for sure.

oh okay, my dad used to have a 92 GP SE with the LQ1, after doin valve seals at 60K it would rev and cut out just as you described, he went in circles trying to figure it out because it would idle fine, but cut out and die just as yours did, and it was the ICM and coil packs, but this happened back in 1995 or 6 when the car had 60K miles!

If it just Cuts out and dies. its normally a ICM, If it just Stutters But runs fine under normal driving its normally a Plug, or Plug wire. But could also be a coil.

oh okay, my dad used to have a 92 GP SE with the LQ1, after doin valve seals at 60K it would rev and cut out just as you described, he went in circles trying to figure it out because it would idle fine, but cut out and die just as yours did, and it was the ICM and coil packs, but this happened back in 1995 or 6 when the car had 60K miles!

Yikes!

Yikes!

oh thats nothing he also had to redo the valve seals because it swallowed a quart and a half evrey 800 miles, fun fun, he still has the scar on his hand from the timing belt job :roll:

i can definately say that car was built on a monday LOL, he HATED that car by the time he was done with it, so he traded it in on a 97 silverado LOL